Subject: [Roll] routing metrics: available channels on a link/node

From: Mukul Goyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 23:06:31 -0500 (CDT)

I guess an important metric, for which I have seen no discussion so far, is the channel(s) available (or being used) on a link/node. I think multi-channel operation would emerge as a solution to many problems as LLN-based applications become popular. Should we have atleast some discussion of the "available channels on a link/node" as a potential metric in the metrics draft?

Thanks
Mukul

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:00:57 +0200

Hi Mukul,

On May 19, 2009, at 6:06 AM, Mukul Goyal wrote:

> I guess an important metric, for which I have seen no discussion so  
> far, is the channel(s) available (or being used) on a link/node. I  
> think multi-channel operation would emerge as a solution to many  
> problems as LLN-based applications become popular. Should we have  
> atleast some discussion of the "available channels on a link/node"  
> as a potential metric in the metrics draft?

The best way to answer this question is to have see the routing  
implication, how would you expect the routing protocol to use this  
information ?

Thanks.

JP.

>
> Thanks
> Mukul
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Miguel Sánchez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:38:01 +0200

Isn't this consideration making ROLL dependent on LL features?

Miguel Sánchez

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM, JP Vasseur <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  I guess an important metric, for which I have seen no discussion so far,
>> is the channel(s) available (or being used) on a link/node. I think
>> multi-channel operation would emerge as a solution to many problems as
>> LLN-based applications become popular. Should we have atleast some
>> discussion of the "available channels on a link/node" as a potential metric
>> in the metrics draft?
>>
>

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:41:21 +0200

> Isn't this consideration making ROLL dependent on LL features?

Nope, that is the point. The aim of these metric is to provide an  
independent link layer abstraction of its properties. When specifying  
the routing protocol we will have to define rules as to how to use  
these metrics of course.

JP.

---

From: Mukul Goyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 04:47:31 -0500 (CDT)

Not sure if multi-channel operation could be considered an LL-level feature. It is not that only specific LL protocols would allow multi-channel operation.

Thanks
Mukul
----- Original Message -----
From: "Miguel Sánchez" <[email-masked]>
To: "JP Vasseur" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Mukul Goyal" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:38:01 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [Roll] routing metrics: available channels on a link/node

Miguel Sánchez 

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM, JP Vasseur < [email-masked] > wrote: 

Hi Mukul, 

The best way to answer this question is to have see the routing implication, how would you expect the routing protocol to use this information ? 

Thanks. 

JP. 

Thanks 
Mukul