Subject: [Roll] RFC 5548 on Routing Requirements for Urban Low-Power and Lossy Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:53:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5548

        Title:      Routing Requirements for Urban Low-Power 
                    and Lossy Networks 
        Author:     M. Dohler, Ed.,
                    T. Watteyne, Ed.,
                    T. Winter, Ed.,
                    D. Barthel, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 47759
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-roll-urban-routing-reqs-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5548.txt

The application-specific routing requirements for Urban Low-Power and
Lossy Networks (U-LLNs) are presented in this document.  In the near
future, sensing and actuating nodes will be placed outdoors in urban
environments so as to improve people's living conditions as well as
to monitor compliance with increasingly strict environmental laws.
These field nodes are expected to measure and report a wide gamut of
data (for example, the data required by applications that perform
smart-metering or that monitor meteorological, pollution, and allergy
conditions).  The majority of these nodes are expected to communicate
wirelessly over a variety of links such as IEEE 802.15.4, low-power
IEEE 802.11, or IEEE 802.15.1 (Bluetooth), which given the limited
radio range and the large number of nodes requires the use of
suitable routing protocols.  The design of such protocols will be
mainly impacted by the limited resources of the nodes (memory,
processing power, battery, etc.) and the particularities of the
outdoor urban application scenarios.  As such, for a wireless
solution for Routing Over Low-Power and Lossy (ROLL) networks to be
useful, the protocol(s) ought to be energy-efficient, scalable, and
autonomous.  This documents aims to specify a set of IPv6 routing
requirements reflecting these and further U-LLNs' tailored
characteristics.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:59:53 +0200

Our first RFC :-)

JP.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: May 19, 2009 11:53:58 PM CEDT
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: RFC 5548 on Routing Requirements for Urban Low-Power and  
> Lossy Networks
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce