Subject: [Roll] 6LowApp: Application protocols for 6LoWPAN and other LLN

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:56:14 +0200

The 6LoWPAN and ROLL WGs are laying the groundwork to make the
    Wireless Embedded Internet a reality, but what application protocols
    will we use?  Request-response protocols like HTTP are a poor fit to
    a communication model with battery-operated, mostly sleeping nodes.
    In addition, the usual data formats (both headers and body) are
    perceived to be too chatty for the 50-60 byte payloads possible in
    LoWPANs and to require too much code for the 8-bit and 16-bit
    processors dominating the Internet of Things.  Still, it would be a
    mistake to start a new silo of application protocols that do not
    benefit from existing application area Internet experience.

At IETF75, we will hold a Bar BOF to scope out possible IETF work and  
maybe form an opinion on which part should be done in which IETF area.

Tentative information is at http://u.nu/6jfh =
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/BarBofs/IETF75/6LowApp
(and you are welcome to contribute to this Wiki page).

-> Please tell us whether the envisaged date and time of ->Tue 18:30<-  
will work for you!

A first version of a problem statement (where the above paragraph was  
stolen from) is at:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/6lowapp
(draft-bormann-6lowpan-6lowapp-problem-00.txt)

I will start planning an agenda for the Bar BOF soon, so if you have  
something to say that would help in this conversation, please tell me  
(with an estimated amount of time).

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:15:54 +0200

Based on the extensive feedback I got for the 6LowApp Bar BOF, I have  
slightly extended the problem statement:

http://u.nu/2bfj  =
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bormann-6lowpan-6lowapp-problem-01.txt

Thanks to all the additional contributors. (I don't agree with all  
their comments, but I tried to err on the side of capturing as many  
requirements as possible.)

The Bar BOF is still scheduled at ->Tue 18:30<-.
I'm going to ask the ADs for a room so we can hear each other (and  
maybe use a projector).
Again, please tell me if you want a slot in the structured part.

Even after the I-D deadline, you can continue to capture information  
at the Bar BOF Wiki:
http://u.nu/6jfh  =
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/BarBofs/IETF75/6LowApp

Gruesse, Carsten

On Jul 6, 2009, at 12:56, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> At IETF75, we will hold a Bar BOF to scope out possible IETF work  
> and maybe form an opinion on which part should be done in which IETF  
> area.
>
> -> Please tell us whether the envisaged date and time of ->Tue  
> 18:30<- will work for you!
>
> A first version of a problem statement (where the above paragraph  
> was stolen from) is at:
>
> something to say that would help in this conversation, please tell  
> me (with an estimated amount of time).
>
> Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 00:04:50 +0200

On Jul 13, 2009, at 23:15, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> slightly extended the problem statement

(For those not aware of tools.ietf.org: side-by-side diff at:)
http://u.nu/8pfj

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:44:02 +0000

Hi carsten,

I would like to present the timeline and requirements for the zigbee smart energy work.  Should be not more than 5 slides and 15 minutes.

Don
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:15:54 
To: 6lowpan<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; ROLL WG<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Roll] 6LowApp: Application protocols for 6LoWPAN and other LLN

http://u.nu/2bfj  =

Gruesse, Carsten

> me (with an estimated amount of time).

_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:06:57 +0200

The 6LowApp BOF is scheduled for Tue 18:30 at Room 202, see http://u.nu/6jfh

I have been asked about the conflict with the social event at Tue  
evening.
The idea is that we will take about an hour for structured discussion.
At around 19:30, we will move to a more Bar-BOFy style.
Those who want to go to the social will be able to then -- we will  
find out whether there still will be buses at that time or whether  
Taxis will be shared.

So the Wireless Embedded Internet sub-schedule at IETF 75 for  
tomorrow, Tue 28, is:

0900-1130  6lowpan INT   Cabaret
1520-1810  roll    RTG   Congresshall C
1830-19xx  6lowapp (APP) Room 202

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:26:24 +0200

On Jul 27, 2009, at 11:06, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> the conflict with the social event

Sorry for tricasting once more, but this is *important information*:

-- the last bus to the social will leave at 7:30 PM from in front of  
the Clarion Sign and will wait for us. We are a big enough group that  
it was OK.  (Obviously, not all of us *will* go to the social; happy  
discussions await the rest.)
-- for those who asked what the "Bar" in the "Bar BOF" was about, this  
seems to be a variant spelling of "beer", and indeed there will be  
some beer available for the participants of the Bar BOF, sponsored by  
an entity very interested in progress on the 6lowapp problem.

As I said, important information!
See you tomorrow at 1830.

Gruesse, Carsten