Subject: Re: [Roll] Another Term Instead of Depth

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:47:13 +0200

Hi all 

The mechanism makes me think of a trammel hook.
A trammel hook allows to adjust the height of a cooking pot over a
burning fire.
It can easily be moved up, but needs both hands and good control to be
moved down.
See pictures at
http://www.appaltree.net/aba/images/projects/REISIG-trammelhook2_small.j
pg 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Goemaer_detail_cremai
llere.gif

A better-known word for a similar behavior is "ratchet". But the motion
is rotation instead of translation; because it cycles around, it is less
illustrative of our mechanism.

So, tongue in cheek, instead of "height", I suggest "THP" (Trammel Hook
Position) ;-)
Who wants to carry that idea further?

Dominique 

------------------------------
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:44:49 +0200
From: [email-masked]
Subject: [Roll] Another Term Instead of Depth
To: [email-masked]
Message-ID:
	
<[email-masked]
	
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

Instead of using the term depth, would the term rank be acceptable?
Reflects that each node is searching only for those with a higher rank
(well, a lower number, which reflects a higher rank), but doesn't imply
a hop count.

Matt
------------------------------

---

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:19:25 +0100

I like the word 'tier' as in ranked layer (not as in someone who ties
something :-). It implies rank but adds a depth/height perspective as
well and is numerically consistent with the concept of depth in the
document.

Robert

Robert Cragie, Principal Engineer

Direct: +44 (0) 114 281 4512
_______________________________________________________________
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
http://www.jennic.com Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655 Confidential
_______________________________________________________________

[email-masked] wrote:

Hi all

Dominique

Matt
------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll