Subject: [Roll] [roll] #14: Local Repair Mechanism for RPL

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:29:17 -0000

#14: Local Repair Mechanism for RPL
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…               |       Owner:  wintert@…      
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new            
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                 
Component:  rpl                 |     Version:                 
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:  Local Repair   
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Dear all,

 This is one of the important design choice that we need to make. How do we
 repair a DAG.

 With the current revision of RPL, repair is purely global and a node
 having lost connectivity has to wait until the new DagSequenceNumber
 controller by the DAG root before re-joining the DAG at any rank. This is
 because, one of the rules states that a node cannot join the DAG at a
 higher rank without risking a loop. Thus if a node loosing its most
 preferred parent does not have an alternate, it has to wait for the new
 DagSequenceNumber if it cannot join a node at a lowest rank.

 There is I think a good agreement for enhancing this mechanism with local
 repair. Several approaches have been discussed and we need to choose one.

 Thanks.

 JP.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/14>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>