Subject: [Roll] [roll] #16: Clarification on parent / destination prefix / route removal

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:22:26 -0000

#16: Clarification on parent / destination prefix / route removal
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…               |       Owner:  wintert@…      
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new            
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                 
Component:  rpl                 |     Version:                 
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:                 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
 Mathilde Durvy (mdurvy)
 Sent: mardi, 3. novembre 2009 11:48
 To: roll
 Subject: [Roll] Clarification on parent / destination prefix / route
 removal

 Hi All,

 This is my current understanding:

 - Parents are removed based on OF selection (decision to move within the
 DAG, change DAG, etc)
 - Destination prefixes are removed after the retry / RemoveTimer procedure
 described in section 5.10.1.1.1. This is essentially a keep alive
 mechanism based on DIO (D bit set) - DAO exchanges.
 - Route corresponding to destination prefixes are removed when DAO
 lifetime expires? Are they also removed when the corresponding destination
 prefix is removed?
 - When are routes corresponding to parents removed? Do they also have a
 lifetime?
 - What happens when a neighbor disappears, are the corresponding
 parents/destination/routes removed?

 The current behavior seems quite asymmetric... There is some kind of keep
 alive mechanism for destination prefixes, but not for parents. There is a
 lifetime associated with routes corresponding to destination prefixes but
 not for routes corresponding to parents. Is that a design choice? I would
 appreciate some clarifications.

 Best,
 Mathilde

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/16>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>