Subject: [Roll] IPv6 alignment requirement

From: "Mathilde Durvy (mdurvy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:22:43 +0100

Hi All,
 
As mentioned in rpl-05 page 23
  "Following
   the convention in IPv6, these options are aligned in a packet such
   that multi-octet values within the Option Data field of each option
   fall on natural boundaries (i.e., fields of width n octets are placed
   at an integer multiple of n octets from the start of the header, for
   n = 1, 2, 4, or 8)."

It would be good if RLP would follow the IPv6 guidelines as code structures
that don't follow this principle are difficult to handle (due to automatic
padding in between fields).

In particular the DIO suboption header is a big problem has you have a 2
byte field (the length) placed 1 byte from the start of the header.

Best,
Mathilde

  <http://www.cisco.com/swa/i/logo.gif> 	

Durvy Mathilde
Software Engineer
Technology center

[email-masked]
Phone: +41 21 822 1725
Mobile: +41 76 396 8116

Cisco Systems International Sàrl
Av. des Uttins, 5
CH-1180 Rolle

Cisco home page <http://www.cisco.com/> 

 Think before you print.
<http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/brand/signature/capital/green.gif> Think
before you print.	
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and delete all copies of this message.