Subject: [Roll] Security extensions to RPL

From: "amit dvir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:01:37 +0100

Hello,

Let me kindly inform you that in an EU funded research project on dependable
sensor networks (www.wsan4cip.eu), we adopted RPL as the routing protocol in
our protocol stack for demonstrators, and we designed some security
extensions to RPL (not yet covered by the current RPL security features). 

Our intention is to submit these extensions as an Internet Draft to the ROLL
Working Group. The New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
Internet-Drafts directories:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dvir-roll-security-extensions/

We would be happy to receive comments related to this work.

We also would like to mention that we are developing an implementation of
RPL both in a TinyOS and in a Linux environment. We plan to make our
implementation including the security extensions we specified in the New
Internet-Draft available to the community later this year.

Best regards,

Dr. Amit Dvir

Crypto and System Security Lab (CrySyS) 

Budapest University of Technology

www.crysys.hu

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:31:59 +0000

Hi Amit,
 
Thanks for the work and for sharing it with the working group.
draft-ietf-roll-security-framework is currently under IESG review scheduled to
complete Thursday afternoon (Europe).
It would be very valuable to hear whether your work uncovered any issues with
that framework.
 
Thanks,
Adrian
 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of amit
dvir
Sent: 17 January 2011 13:02
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Roll] Security extensions to RPL
 
Hello,
 
Let me kindly inform you that in an EU funded research project on dependable
sensor networks (www.wsan4cip.eu), we adopted RPL as the routing protocol in our
protocol stack for demonstrators, and we designed some security extensions to
RPL (not yet covered by the current RPL security features). 

 
We also would like to mention that we are developing an implementation of RPL
both in a TinyOS and in a Linux environment. We plan to make our implementation
including the security extensions we specified in the New Internet-Draft
available to the community later this year.

Best regards,
 
Dr. Amit Dvir

---

From: Yoav Ben-Yehezkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:36:19 +0200

Hi Amit and WG,

Thanks for the work you’ve put into this ID and for sharing this draft
with the group.

I would like to probe the WG opinion on splitting this draft into two
separate IDs, one about DIO Message Authentication and the other about
Local Key Agreement.

As it stands, a draft called “security extensions to RPL” seems too general
to understand what this draft is trying to accomplish (as there can be many
more security extensions to RPL than the ones mentioned in this draft).
Also, I have a feeling that the two extensions that are detailed in the
draft are not so related, which one might expect from a single document
describing two (out of N possible) extensions.

Any thoughts from other members?

Best regards,

Yoav

*From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On
Behalf Of *amit
dvir
*Sent:* Monday, January 17, 2011 3:02 PM
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* [Roll] Security extensions to RPL

Hello,

Let me kindly inform you that in an EU funded research project on dependable
sensor networks (www.wsan4cip.eu), we adopted RPL as the routing protocol in
our protocol stack for demonstrators, and we designed some security
extensions to RPL (*not yet covered by the current RPL security features*).

Our intention is to submit these extensions as an Internet Draft to the ROLL
Working Group. *The New Internet-Draft is available* from the on-line
Internet-Drafts directories:

We also would like to mention that we are developing an implementation of
RPL both in a TinyOS and in a Linux environment. We plan to make our
implementation including the security extensions we specified in the *New
Internet-Draft *available to the community later this year.

Best regards,

Dr. Amit Dvir

www.crysys.hu