Subject: [Roll] Section 11.2 Loop Avoidance and Detection of RPL draft 19

From: "Rajesh Marchappanavar (rmarchap)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 20:49:25 -0700

Hi,

Below is an extract from draft 19 of RPL -

11.2.1.  Source Node Operation

   If the source is aware of the RPLInstanceID that is preferred for the

   packet, then it MUST set the RPLInstanceID field associated with the

   packet accordingly, otherwise it MUST set it to the

   RPL_DEFAULT_INSTANCE.

Where in the packet should the source set the RPLIndtanceID field? In
RPL options in IPv6 hop-by-hop

Header? If so, then a source outside the RPL domain should form a IPv6
hop-by-hop header with RPL option.

Draft-ietf-6man-rpl-option-03 says this in section 5 -

   For datagrams entering the RPL domain, RPL Border Routers MUST drop
   received datagrams that contain a RPL Option in the IPv6 Extension
   headers.

A source outside RPL domain would set RPLInstanceID in RPL option in
IPv6 extension header (hop-by-hop header)

And the RPL border router would drop the packet.

What am I missing?

Cheers,

Rajesh