Subject: [Roll] roll-rpl-mib-01.txt

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:36:30 -0500

I did a brief review of sehgal-roll-rpl-mib-01.
(I note that it has now officially expired from the ID repository)
I do not believe that the WG make a clear decision about whether
or not to adopt it, with many, including myself, wondering if it will
really even live in real devices.  I know that the authors have
implemented this Contiki, so perhaps it would fit in many places.

I am not a MIB lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.
So, I mostly focused on section 4.

My single comment is that it appears that there are no counters or other
structures to deal with the secure forms of the RPL messages.
Specifically for failures to hash, authenticate, and lists of nodes that
might be sending messages with incorrect keys.

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:47:45 +0100

> (I note that it has now officially expired from the ID repository)

There is meanwhile -02 in place (but with only minor changes).

> My single comment is that it appears that there are no counters or
> other structures to deal with the secure forms of the RPL messages.
> Specifically for failures to hash, authenticate, and lists of nodes
> that might be sending messages with incorrect keys.

Looking at the text in section 10.7.  of draft-ietf-roll-rpl-19, there
should be a counters for messages discarded because (a) integrity
check failures, (b) replay check failures and (c) delay protection
checks. In fact, we likely need a bunch of counters such as:

rplInDiscards              dropped due to resource shortages
rplInDelayProtectFailures  dropped due to delay protection failures
rplInReplayCheckFailures   dropped due to replay check failures
rplInMACFailures           dropped due to MAC check failures
rplInUnknownMsgTypes       dropped due to unknown code numbers
rplInHeaderErrors          dropped due to header parsing errors
rplInReceived              received RPL messages

We might also need a few counters for outgoing messages, e.g.

rplOutRequests		   RPL messages to be sent
rplOutDiscards		   dropped due to resource shortages

We will look into this for the next revision and create some
definitions.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>