Subject: Re: [Roll] RPL AMI Applicability Internet-Draft

From: Yoav Ben-Yehezkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 09:20:56 +0200

Hi,

I’ve reviewed the draft, and have a question about section 4.1.4 (path
metrics, see below).

I’m not sure that the ETX metric should be noted as the preferred one, when
the use case is wide range of varying link rates (in IEEE P1901.2 that is
mentioned in this draft the rates range from a few kbps to a few hundreds
of kbps).

Would the authors be willing to include a note about this issue? I was
given some inputs from the ROLL WG that ETT (Expected Transmission Time) or
throughput might be more suitable metrics under such conditions.

The related ROLL mailing list threads are:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg06564.html and
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg06565.html

Best regards,

Yoav

*4.1.4**.  Path Metrics*

   Smart metering deployments utilize link technologies that may exhibit

   significant packet loss and thus require routing metrics that take

   packet loss into account.  To characterize a path over such link

   technologies, AMI deployments can use the Expected Transmission Count

   (ETX) metric as defined in[I-D.ietf-roll-routing-metrics].

*From:* OpenSG SG Communications WG SG Network Task Force [mailto:
[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *Jetcheva, Jorjeta
*Sent:* Friday, December 02, 2011 10:05 PM
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* RPL AMI Applicability Internet-Draft

Hi everyone,

In case anyone is interested, the latest version of the RPL AMI
Applicability Internet-Draft I mentioned on our last call can be found at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-roll-applicability-ami-05.

Jorjeta

<https://www.itron.com/>

*Jorjeta Jetcheva, Ph.D.***

Strategic Industry Standards and Architecture

Office of the CTO
Mobile: +1.408.688.1428
Knowledge to Shape Your Future

<http://twitter.com/#!/itron>
   [image:
http://marketing.itron.com/campaign/social_media_icon_facebook29.jpg]<http://www.facebook.com/ItronInc>
   [image:
http://marketing.itron.com/campaign/social_media_icon_linkedin29.jpg]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/7550?trk=null>
   [image:
http://marketing.itron.com/campaign/social_media_icon_youtube29.jpg]<http://www.youtube.com/itronsmartmedia>