Subject: [Roll] draft-dvir-roll-security-authentication-01

From: "amit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:45:32 +0200

We will appreciate comments from the working group. 

A new version of I-D, draft-dvir-roll-security-authentication-01.txt has been successfully submitted by Amit Dvir and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-dvir-roll-security-authentication
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Version Number and Rank Authentication
Creation date:	 2012-01-08
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 24

Abstract:
   Designing a routing protocol for large low-power and lossy networks
   (LLNs), consisting of thousands of constrained nodes and unreliable
   links, presents new challenges.  The IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low-
   power and Lossy Networks (RPL), have been developed by the IETF ROLL
   Working Group as a preferred routing protocol to provide IPv6 routing
   functionality in LLNs.  Unfortunately, the currently available
   security services in RPL will not protect against a compromised
   internal node that can construct and disseminate fake messages.
   Therefore, in RPL special security care must be taken when the
   Destination Oriented Directed Acyclic Graph (DODAG) root is updating
   the Version Number by which reconstruction of the routing topology
   can be initiated.  The same care also must be taken to prevent an
   internal attacker (compromised DODAG node) to publish decreased Rank
   value, which causes a large part of the DODAG to connect to the DODAG
   root via the attacker and give it the ability to eavesdrop or
   manipulate a large part of the network traffic.  In this document, a
   new security service is described that prevents any misbehaving DODAG
   node from illegitimately increasing the Version Number or publish
   illegitimately decreased Rank values.