Subject: [Roll] IEEE IoT-SoS 2012: call for papers

From: "Enzo Mingozzi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:08:08 +0100

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-       Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP       -
------------------------------------------------------------------------

                 ***** PAPER SUBMISSION DEADLINE *****
                    FEBRUARY 17, 2012 (11:59pm EST)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

                            CALL FOR PAPERS

                             IoT-SoS 2012
                      First IEEE Workshop on the
             Internet of Things: Smart Objects and Services

                  http://www.ing.unipi.it/iot-sos2012

                   co-located with IEEE WoWMoM 2012
               sponsored by IEEE, IEEE Computer Society

                            June 25, 2012
                       San Francisco, CA, USA

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Internet of Things (IoT) is a novel paradigm which is shaping the 
evolution of the future Internet. According to the vision underlying the 
IoT, the next step in increasing the ubiquity of the Internet, after 
connecting people anytime and everywhere, is to connect inanimate 
objects. By providing objects with embedded communication capabilities 
and a common addressing scheme, a highly distributed and ubiquitous 
network of seamlessly connected heterogeneous devices is formed, which 
can be fully integrated into the current Internet and mobile networks, 
thus allowing for the development of new intelligent services available 
anytime, anywhere, by anyone and anything. Such a vision is also 
becoming known under the name of Machine-to-Machine (M2M), where the 
absence of human interaction in the system dynamics is further stressed.

Many applications with high social and business impact fall under the 
IoT/M2M umbrella, including personal healthcare, smart grid, 
surveillance, home automation, intelligent transportation, while it is 
expected that new ones will emerge once the enabling technologies reach 
a stable state. At the moment, two of the most important challenges are: 
i) the definition of architectures, protocols and algorithms for an 
efficient interconnection of smart objects, both between themselves and 
with the (Future) Internet; and ii) the creation of value-added 
services, esp. open and interoperable, enabled by the interconnection of 
things / machines / smart objects, in such a way that they can be 
integrated with current and new business and development processes.

The aim of this workshop is to bring together practitioners and 
researchers from both academia and industry in order to have a forum for 
discussion and technical presentations on the recent advances in theory, 
application and implementation of the Internet of Things concept: 
technologies, protocols, algorithms, and services.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- System architectures for the IoT/M2M
- Communication protocols for the IoT/M2M
- Service platforms for the IoT/M2M
- Enabling technologies and standards for the IoT/M2M
- Mobility management
- Context awareness
- Sustainable design
- Location-based services and geographic information systems
- Experimental prototypes and large-scale testbed infrastructures
- Performance evaluation of IoT/M2M solutions
- Convergence with the Internet of Services
- Applications, including: eHealth/mHealth; Smart Grid/Smart Metering; 
  connected consumer; fleet management; surveillance; Intelligent 
  Transportation Systems; Smart House/Neighborhood/City
- Business development and processes
- Industrial use cases showing gaps to be filled by future research

PAPER SUBMISSION AND PUBLICATION
All submissions must describe original research, not published or 
currently under review for another workshop, conference, or journal. 
Papers must be submitted electronically to EDAS by February 17, 2012, 
11:59pm EST. You can find detailed submission instructions at 
http://www.ing.unipi.it/iot-sos2012/submission.shtml. Submission implies 
the willingness of at least one author to attend the workshop and 
present the paper. Accepted papers will be included in the main 
proceedings of IEEE WoWMoM 2012 and published by IEEE.

IMPORTANT DATES
Manuscripts Due:           February 17, 2012.
Acceptance Notification:      April  6, 2012.
Camera-ready Submission: 2nd half April 2012.

WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS
Jaudelice Cavalcante de Oliveira, Drexel University, PA, USA.
Claudio Cicconetti, INTECS, Italy.
Xiaohua Jia, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
Enzo Mingozzi, University of Pisa, Italy.

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE (TO BE COMPLETED)
Baris Atakan, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA.
Biao Chen, University of Macau, Macao.
Zixue Cheng, University of Aizu, Japan.
Huang Chuanhe, Whuhan University, P.R. China.
Thomas Clausen, Ecole Polytechnique, France.
Gianni Di Caro, IDSIA, Switzerland.
Hongwei Du, Harbin Institute of Technology, P.R. China.
Andrzej Duda, Grenoble Institute of Technology, France.
Omprakash Gnawali, University of Houston, USA.
Mukul Goyal, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, USA.
Burhan Gulbahar, Koc University, Turkey.
Yuan Guo, Wilson, Ham & Holman, USA.
Stephan Haller, SAP (Switzerland) Inc., Switzerland.
Antonio Iera, University Mediterranea of Reggio Calabria, Italy.
Sofoklis Kyriazakos, Aalborg Universitet, Denmark.
Antonis Litke, Converge, Greece.
Hai Liu, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong.
Alessandro Mamelli, Hewlett-Packard, Italy.
Belen Martinez, Tecnalia, Spain.
Tommaso Melodia, SUNY at Buffalo, USA.
Francisco Javier Nieto De-Santos, ATOS, Spain.
Dario Pompili, Rutgers University, USA.
Kay Romer, University of Lubeck, Germany.
Michele Rossi, University of Padova, Italy.
Paul Russell, InterDigital, USA.
Enrico Scarrone, Telecom Italia LAB, Italy.
Jean-Philippe Vasseur, Cisco Systems, USA.
Serdar Vural, University of Surrey, UK.
Dexiang Wang, University of Florida, USA.
Yan Zhang, Simula Research Laboratory and University of Oslo, Norway.