Subject: [Roll] how to document provisioning model properly

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:33:45 -0400

(Guys, I pull [email-masked] out, and added the WG)

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/99

I want to note that Ralph and Brian's request is not really specific to 
MRHOF.

JP, how/where can we deal with this?

I know that Carstan was writing a 6lowpan/LLN/RPL/ND roadmap document
that explained how and where to use all these things together.  

However, while I hate to sound like a broken record, I think that these
things are in fact target application specific, and therefore need to be
addressed in the applicability statments.

My proposal is that we have to build a table of contents for the
applicability statements, and that we need to hold a WG LC on the
result.
See my other email to the list:
    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg06982.html

I really do need some feedback here.

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:35:28 -0400

(resend with correct From)
(Guys, I pull [email-masked] out, and added the WG)

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 11:17:32 -0400

>>>>> "Ralph" == Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> writes:
    Ralph> OK, do I understand the fundamental issue correctly: the
    Ralph> assumption that there must be some form of installation
    Ralph> process to adapt the device to the specific deployment?

WG: please disagree with this assumption of mine:

    >>> Yes, that's my understanding of what current
    >>> manufacturers/system integrators expect.  Remember: there is
    >>> layer-2 security stuff that also would need to be initialized
    >>> before the smart object could even get on 
    >>> the network to see any kind of announcement.

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works 
IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/