Subject: [Roll] [roll] #100: Can P2P-RPL be used to repair broken DAO routes

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 14:11:02 -0000

#100: Can P2P-RPL be used to repair broken DAO routes

 Resolution: Yes it can but it will be an overkill. Supporting the whole
 P2P-RPL apparatus for this particular reason only may not be a good idea.
 Need a separate mechanism to solve this problem.

 Discussion:
 ----------------
 [Joseph]
 Section 12:
 ..In general, P2P-RPL operation does not affect core RPL operation.."
 I think this is unfortunate as P2P can be used to fix issues with core
 rpl. For example, in core RPL, there is no way to repair a downward route
 until the actual Target sends another DAO, which can take a long time. It
 would be very nice if the DoDag root can use P2P-RPL to discover a route
 to a Target node that is unreachable and then use the resulting source
 route as the downward route.

 [Mukul]
 What the text you quoted means is that it does not break core RPL
 operation. P2P-RPL can certainly be used in the manner you specified. The
 root of a global DODAG can certainly use P2P-RPL to discover a source
 route to any target. Just that it will involve creation of a separate
 temporary DAG. If you want to do this route discovery within the scope of
 the existing global permanent DAG, it can be done but needs to be written
 up in a separate document. I dont think this provision should be inside
 P2P-RPL document. This is because, for RPL deployments that would not
 otherwise support P2P-RPL, it may be more efficient to simply use an RPL
 Target Option inside a DIO to trigger DAOs that would allow desired route
 to be discovered. Ofcourse, this needs to be written up to (since
 currently Target Option cannot sit inside a non-P2P mode DIO).

-- 
-----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…                  |      Owner:  mukul@…
     Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                  |  Milestone:
Component:  p2p-rpl                |    Version:
 Severity:  Submitted WG Document  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------------+---------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/100>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 14:11:18 -0000

Changes (by jpv@…):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 [Joseph2]
 Thanks for the clarification. I agree with your suggestion to consider
 this as subject for a separate document.

 [Mukul2]
 Thanks Joseph. I guess this issue is closed too as far as P2P-RPL is
 concerned.

-- 
-----------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…                  |       Owner:  mukul@…
     Type:  defect                 |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major                  |   Milestone:
Component:  p2p-rpl                |     Version:
 Severity:  Submitted WG Document  |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                         |
-----------------------------------+----------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/100#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>