Subject: Re: [Roll] [roll] #99: clarify for readers how/where provisioning of devices occurs

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:28:32 -0400

On May 25, 2012, at 11:30 AM 5/25/12, Michael Richardson wrote:

> 
>>>>>> "Omprakash" == Omprakash Gnawali <[email-masked]> writes:
>    Omprakash> I was wondering if the first paragraph of 6.1 is enough for things
>    Omprakash> that need to be configured/provisioned for MRHOF.
> 
> I think that it works for *MRHOF*, but I think that we have a bigger
> picture problem here.

Given that the ZigBee IP spec prescribes the details of how to use MRHOF, a node that implements ZigBee IP and will not be used in any other deployment scenario can be configured at manufacturing time and there is no need for the node to "allow the [...] parameters to be configured at installation time".  However, I think draft-ietf-roll-minrank-hysteresis-of would be improved by expanding the sense of the text to something like:

   An implementation needs specific values for the following
   paramters: [...]  These parameters may be set at device
   manufacturing time or configured at installation time.  RPL/MRHOF
   do not provide a way for the appropriate values for these
   parameters to be discovered through the network. 

- Ralph

> -- 
> Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works 
> IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Omprakash Gnawali <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 04:06:15 -0500

>   parameters to be discovered through the network.

This is a good feedback based on what is happening in practice. Happy
to incorporate this by changing the existing text from:

An implementation SHOULD allow the following parameters to be
   configured at installation time: MAX_LINK_METRIC, MAX_PATH_COST,
   PARENT_SWITCH_THRESHOLD, PARENT_SET_SIZE, and ALLOW_FLOATING_ROOT.
   An implementation MAY allow these parameters to be configured
   dynamically at run time once a network has been deployed.

to:

An implementation needs specific values for the following
parameters: MAX_LINK_METRIC, MAX_PATH_COST,
   PARENT_SWITCH_THRESHOLD, PARENT_SET_SIZE, and ALLOW_FLOATING_ROOT.
These parameters may be set at device
manufacturing time, configured at installation time, or configured
at run time once a network has been deployed. MRHOF
does not directly help determine the values for these
parameters.

- om_p

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 14:29:40 -0400

>   PARENT_SWITCH_THRESHOLD, PARENT_SET_SIZE, and ALLOW_FLOATING_ROOT.

Should "selected metric" be added to this list?

> does not directly help determine the values for these

Text looks good to me.

- Ralph