Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D related to large scale deployed RPL networks

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 07:25:16 +0200

Hi All,

IMHO, all participant in ROLL WG want/interested to increase the use
of RPL and develop its use/performance, and standardize future
developments/deployments to make RPL and other ROLL standards usable.
This is a good direction/approach for the subject I-D new revision.

Please note that my interest in the I-D and its information only if
they are open to IETF, not information that are close/confidential. If
there is confidential, then we don't learn any good knowledge of
deployment, and we are wasting our time or misleading the direction. I
will recommend that we don't even mention any information related to
any confidential end-user/company, if they don't volunteer information
they should not be involve with IETF, they should not even influence
the direction of the I-D.

We should have clear/deep information of RPL deployments, otherwise we
can not do good work in the I-D. On the other hand,
companies/end-RPL-users SHOULD understand that they in some stage need
to give up good information (not need to be all, but useful
information for develop) otherwise they will not be using/developing
our standards (users of RPL), so I recommend all companies that do not
understand to look for another standard-body/protocol to use. Am I
missing something?

Abdussalam Baryun
University of Glamorgan, UK
============================================================
The mission of the Internet Engineering Task Force is to make the
Internet work better by producing high-quality and relevant technical
documents that influence the way people design, use, and manage the
Internet.
============================================================

> Dear all,
>
> Cochair hat off.
>
> Thanks for the feed-back and your interest in
> http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-hui-vasseur-roll-rpl-deployment-01.pdf.
> We will continue to add additional information wrt to deployed
> networks and any of you willing to join to report your deployment
> experience is more than welcome.
>
> As pointed out during the meeting, the aim of this ID is just to
> report large scale RPL enabled network experiences.
>
> Some of you already suggested additional information, we will update
> the document accordingly (just note that some information may not be
> disclosed if considered as confidential by the end user of course).
>
> New revision soon.
>
> JP and Jonathan.
>