Subject: [Roll] Loop Free DODAG Repair Solution

From: Jianlin Guo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:05:48 -0400

Hi everyone,

We have proposed a loop free DODAG repair solution. Our DODAG repair 
mechanism does not increase rank, and therefore, it does not create any 
loop.Our solution works for both storing mode and non-storing mode of RPL.

To repair DODAG, a node multicast a repair request (REQ) message. Upon 
receiving a REQ message, a neighboring node generates a repair response 
(REP) message if it has a smaller rank. Otherwise, neighboring node 
forwards REQ message to a parent. DODAG is repaired when repair 
initiation node receives a REP message. The detailed DODAG repair 
mechanism is specified in draft-guo-roll-loop-free-rpl-00.

Even though draft-guo-roll-loop-free-rpl-00 defines an alternative rank 
(fraction rank), which is used to describe the DODAG repair mechanism, 
proposed solution works for integer rank as well.

Please review draft-guo-roll-loop-free-rol-00 and provide us with 
comments and feedback.

Regards,
Jianlin Guo
Mitsubishi Electric Research Labs

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:05:54 -0400

>>>>> "Jianlin" == Jianlin Guo <[email-masked]> writes:
    Jianlin> To repair DODAG, a node multicast a repair request (REQ)
    Jianlin> message. Upon receiving a REQ message, a neighboring node
    Jianlin> generates a repair response (REP) message if it has a

In a P2MP situation, I think that an end-node won't generate any
traffic, so it won't know that the DODAG is broken.  

How can the end-node know that it should effect repair?

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works 
IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/

---

From: Jianlin Guo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:12:04 -0400

Hi Michael,

You are right on P2MP situation. We will address it in next version.

Jianlin Guo
On 8/1/2012 1:05 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
>>>>>> "Jianlin" == Jianlin Guo<[email-masked]>  writes:
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll