Subject: [Roll] Deployment-Data Owners vs WG Efforts Progress

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 11:12:12 +0200

Hi,

In the IETF84 ROLL meeting it was mentioned:  *in large scale
deployment we don't own the data".

If in deployment we don't *own* the data, then where could we get an
owner who shares information volunteerly with IETF?  I don't know the
answer, could we think how can it happen to make other
profitable-organisations that use our standards become
volunteer-information to us.

On the other hand, if we cannot own important data for informational
or applicability documents that will help our protocols, then why it
is an IETF requirement while we want to produce new protocols. IETF
leaders should notice this problem, and try influence owners of data
to share, or let participance focus on what they own so far and
produce new protocols/standards.

If we wait for these data owners (who use our standards), then our
efforts will be delayed, therefore, I suggest the following:

1- Not to take source information from data owners that don't have
provide useful technical information,

2- IETF leaders to try to make agreements with data-owners/companies
to participate in these information documents for the sake of the RPL
(or any ROLL protocol). IETF has important things it can offer to
develop users deployments.

3- IETF leaders try to influence the change IETF from an organisation
of volunteering participants that MAY share, to an organisation of
participants that SHOULD share information volunteerly.

Best Regards
AB

============================================================
 The mission of the Internet Engineering Task Force is to make the
 Internet work better by producing high-quality and relevant technical
 documents that influence the way people design, use, and manage the
 Internet.
============================================================

------------------

To: roll <roll at ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D related to large scale deployed RPL networks
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 07:25:16 +0200

> Hi All,
>
> IMHO, all participant in ROLL WG want/interested to increase the use
> of RPL and develop its use/performance, and standardize future
> developments/deployments to make RPL and other ROLL standards usable.
> This is a good direction/approach for the subject I-D new revision.
>
> Please note that my interest in the I-D and its information only if
> they are open to IETF, not information that are close/confidential. If
> there is confidential, then we don't learn any good knowledge of
> deployment, and we are wasting our time or misleading the direction. I
> will recommend that we don't even mention any information related to
> any confidential end-user/company, if they don't volunteer information
> they should not be involve with IETF, they should not even influence
> the direction of the I-D.
>
> We should have clear/deep information of RPL deployments, otherwise we
> can not do good work in the I-D. On the other hand,
> companies/end-RPL-users SHOULD understand that they in some stage need
> to give up good information (not need to be all, but useful
> information for develop) otherwise they will not be using/developing
> our standards (users of RPL), so I recommend all companies that do not
> understand to look for another standard-body/protocol to use. Am I
> missing something?
>
> Abdussalam Baryun
> University of Glamorgan, UK
> ============================================================
> The mission of the Internet Engineering Task Force is to make the
> Internet work better by producing high-quality and relevant technical
> documents that influence the way people design, use, and manage the
> Internet.
> ============================================================
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Cochair hat off.
>>
>> Thanks for the feed-back and your interest in
>> http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-hui-vasseur-roll-rpl-deployment-01.pdf.
>> We will continue to add additional information wrt to deployed
>> networks and any of you willing to join to report your deployment
>> experience is more than welcome.
>>
>> As pointed out during the meeting, the aim of this ID is just to
>> report large scale RPL enabled network experiences.
>>
>> Some of you already suggested additional information, we will update
>> the document accordingly (just note that some information may not be
>> disclosed if considered as confidential by the end user of course).
>>
>> New revision soon.
>>
>> JP and Jonathan.
>>
>