Subject: [Roll] [roll] #109: trickle-mcast: should all MPL packets be destined to all-MPL-forwarders

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 14:34:05 -0000

#109: trickle-mcast: should all MPL packets be destined to all-MPL-forwarders

 > 4. Destination address:

 Is there a reason to restrict the destination address of the MPL packet to
 the "all-MPL-forwarders" multicast address? Nodes that receives an MPL
 packet
 but don't understand the MPL option will discard it anyway.

 I think the most compelling reason is to remove yet another configuration
 parameter.  But allowing arbitrary multicast addresses to identify MPL
 forwarders
 would be necessary to support multiple MPL scope zones using the IPv6
 Destination
 Address.  If we require encapsulation with link-local multicast, then an
 all-MPL-forwarders address would be ok.

-- 
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mcr@…            |      Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast@…
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast    |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/109>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>