Subject: [Roll] [roll] #107: trickle-mcast: should multiple parameter sets be supported

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 14:28:31 -0000

#107: trickle-mcast: should multiple parameter sets be supported

 Should multiple parameter sets be included as a single flag?

 Typical use cases for multicast in LLN's try to achieve either high
 reliability or low latency and having two sets of trickle
 parameters for each of them should help

 Any feedback from others in the WG on this?
 Should we include support for selecting 1, 2, or more parameter sets?

-- 
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mcr@…            |      Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast@…
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast    |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/107>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 14:35:55 -0000

Comment (by mcr@…):

 From: "Dijk, Esko" <[email-masked]>

 > Any feedback from others in the WG on this?  Should we include support
 for selecting 1, 2, or more parameter sets?

 Having two parameter sets is useful to support two main uses of multicast
 in LLNs for the building control domain;

 1) Device/service discovery, such as mDNS and CoAP's /.well-known/core.
 Latency is less important here; avoiding high network load due to
 discovery traffic is also a goal if other more time-critical application
 are running at the same time.
 -> "slow" Trickle parameter set

 2) Building Control involving groups of devices
 Latency can be important (e.g. lighting control, or any device operation
 triggered by sensors or smartphones)
 -> "fast" Trickle parameter set

-- 
----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mcr@…           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast@…
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major           |   Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast   |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last      |  Resolution:
  Call                      |
 Keywords:                  |
----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/107#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>