Subject: Re: [Roll] OPS-DIR review for draft-ietf-roll-p2p-measurement-07

From: Mukul Goyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:09:08 -0600 (CST)

Thanks. I thought I will send your review to ROLL list as well.

Mukul

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juergen Schoenwaelder" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 7:08:38 AM
Subject: OPS-DIR review for draft-ietf-roll-p2p-measurement-07

I have reviewed draft-ietf-roll-p2p-measurement-07 as part of the
operations directorate's ongoing effort to review all IETF documents
being processed by the IESG.  These comments were written primarily
for the benefit of the ops area directors.  Document editors and WG
chairs should treat these comments just like any other last call
comments.

This document specifies a mechanism that allows an RPL router to
measure aggregated values of routing metrics along an existing path
towards another RPL router. The idea is that an RPL router may use
this information to decide whether it is worth to establish a P2P
route towards a certain destination. The security considerations
discuss certain possible ways to misuse the mechanism and that RPL
routers may deal with some of them by not processing all requests
according to local policy. It is not further detailed how such policy
is configured (this is also true for the policy on which it is decided
to attempt establishing a P2P path) or monitored. Since this document
goes for Experimental, I think this is fine (and inline with the fact
that there is in general no specification how to configure or monitor
RPL routers in general and in some of the deloyment scenarios, the
policy likely will be hard wired into certain types of devices).

Bottom line: I think the document is fine to go ahead.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>