Subject: [Roll] Document Action: 'A Mechanism to Measure the Routing Metrics along a Point-to-point Route in a Low Power and Lossy Network' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-roll-p2p-measurement-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 06:44:58 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Mechanism to Measure the Routing Metrics along a Point-to-point
   Route in a Low Power and Lossy Network'
  (draft-ietf-roll-p2p-measurement-10.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy
networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-p2p-measurement/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a mechanism that enables an RPL router to
  measure the aggregated values of given routing metrics along an
  existing route towards another RPL router in a low power and lossy
  network, thereby allowing the router to decide if it wants to
  initiate the discovery of a better route.

  The mechanism described in this document can be used by an Origin in 
  an LLN to measure the aggregated values of some routing metrics along 
  a route to a Target within the LLN.  The route is measured in the 
  direction from the Origin to the Target.  Such a route could be a 
  source route or a hop-by-hop route established using RPL [RFC6550] or 
  P2P-RPL [I-D.ietf-roll-p2p-rpl].  The Origin decides what metrics to 
  measure and sends a Measurement Request message, carrying the desired 
  routing metric objects, along the route.  On receiving a Measurement 
  Request, an Intermediate Router updates the routing metric values 
  inside the message and forwards it to the next hop on the route. 
  Thus, the Measurement Request accumulates the values of the routing 
  metrics for the complete route as it travels towards the Target. 
  Upon receiving the Measurement Request, the Target unicasts a 
  Measurement Reply message, carrying the accumulated values of the 
  routing metrics, back to the Origin.  Optionally, the Origin may 
  allow an Intermediate Router to generate the Measurement Reply if it 
  already knows the relevant routing metric values along rest of the 
  route. 

Working Group Summary: 

  No discontent. Once again, few comments, request for clarifications that
  have all been addressed by in this revision. 

Document Quality: 

  Yes there are several known implementations of this specification, with
  interop testing: 

  An interoperability was carried out last month with INRIA's implementation 
  against Sigma Design's implementation. The report can be found: 
    http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/66/16/29/PDF/RR-7864.pdf 

  Experiments with P2P-RPL have also taken place on the Senslab testbed
  gathering boards based on MSP430 and 802.15.4 at 2.4GHz: 
    http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/65/16/03/PDF/SOFTCOM-2011.pdf 

Personnel: 

  The Document Shepherd is JP Vasseur ([email-masked])
  The Responsible AD is Adrian Farrel ([email-masked])