Subject: [Roll] [roll] #132: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-04 - Clarify scope value of 3 - subnet-local

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 01:22:34 -0000

#132: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-04 - Clarify scope value of 3 - subnet-local

 From Kerry Lynn

 Regarding the definition of MPL Domains, section 8 states:

    By default, an MPL Forwarder SHOULD participate in an MPL Domain
    identified by the ALL_MPL_FORWARDERS multicast address with a scope
    value of 3 (subnet-local).

 As Ralph Droms indicated in
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg07829.html,
 "something
 has to be done to allow MPL to use scope 0x03."  In the most expedient
 scenario, 0x03 is re-defined from "reserved" to "undefined" and the
 proposal
 then gets to define how 0x03 is used by trickle multicast.

 Assuming the desired use of 0x03 multicast scope is to indicate
 ALL_MPL_FORWARDERS within a given prefix, the question is how to
 indicate the prefix in question?  RFC 6282 allows for the stateful
 compression
 of RFC 3306 (prefix-based) multicast addresses.  RFC 3307, section 4.2
 allows for the assignment of "Permanent IPv6 Multicast Group Identifiers"
 for use with RFC 3306 multicast addresses.  Therefore it seems prudent to
 also request from IANA a Permanent IPv6 Multicast Group Identifier
 http://www.iana.org/assignments/perm-mcast-groupids/perm-mcast-
 groupids.xml
 to allow for the possibility of specifying the desired prefix in the MPL
 Domain
 Address.

 Thread: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg07845.html

 From  Ralph Droms

 Multicast scope 0x03 has never been formally defined as "subnet-local".
 Delete the references to "subnet-local" in sections 5.1 and 8, leaving
 just "scope value of 3".  Note that scope value 3 is currently defined as
 "reserved" in RFC 4291.  I am working on publication of an RFC that will
 re-define scope value 3 as "(unassigned)" so it can be used as specified
 in draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-04.

 Following up on my previous feedback - lacking a definition for scope 3,
 the document should include a definition for scope 3 as used in MPL; e.g.,
 "all interfaces connected to a single mesh network".

 Thread: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg07863.html

-- 
---------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                     |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                      |  Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast              |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |   Keywords:
---------------------------------------+-----------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/132>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 14:22:33 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 From Ralph Dorms

 this document - draft-droms-6man-multicast-scopes - is related to draft-
 ietf-roll-trickle-mcast.  It redefines IPv6 multicast scope 0x03 so that
 draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast can formally define the use of scope 0x03 in
 trickle multicast.

 Thread: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg07961.html

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast              |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                             |
---------------------------------------+------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/132#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>