Subject: [Roll] [roll] #129: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-04 - Proactive and Reactive Forwarding should be mutually exclusive within the same MPL Domain?

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 00:17:17 -0000

#129: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-04 - Proactive and Reactive Forwarding should
be mutually exclusive within the same MPL Domain?

 From: Kerry Lynn <kerlyn at ieee.org>

 In reading trickle multicast in this more general way, I'd like to see
 additional
 clarification regarding the use of Proactive Forwarding.  Section 4.2
 reads:

    Proactive Forwarding  - With proactive forwarding, an MPL Forwarder
       schedules transmissions of MPL Data Messages using the Trickle
       algorithm, without any prior indication that neighboring nodes
       have yet to receive the message.  After transmitting the MPL Data
       Message a limited number of times, the MPL Forwarder may terminate
       proactive forwarding for the MPL Data Message message.

 I think the final sentence should read:

      After transmitting the MPL Data Message a limited number of times,
 the
      MPL Forwarder MUST terminate forwarding of the MPL Data Message.

 This eliminates the possible interpretation that both Proactive and
 Reactive
 Forwarding may be used by the same MPL Forwarder for the same MPL
 Data Message within the same MPL Domain.  I believe the intent is that
 Proactive and Reactive Forwarding should be mutually exclusive within
 the same MPL Domain?

 In section 5.4, PROACTIVE_FORWARDING is listed as a "MPL Forwarder
 Parameter".  I believe this should be set (or not) on a MPL Domain basis
 (and therefore as an attribute of the Local Interface).  Again, it should
 be
 made clear that Proactive and Reactive Forwarding are mutually exclusive,
 e.g. by adding a sentence to the end of the first paragraph in section
 5.4:

      If PROACTIVE_FORWARDING is FALSE, then Reactive Forwarding
      is in use.

 This ties it to section 5.1, which mandates MPL Control Messages on an
 interface where Reactive Forwarding is in use.

 Thread: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg07845.html

-- 
---------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                     |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                      |  Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast              |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |   Keywords:
---------------------------------------+-----------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/129>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>