Subject: [Roll] RPL MIB

From: "Turner, Randy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:59:30 +0000

Hi,

On the IETF ROLL WG page, I was looking for a current (not expired) version of the RPL MIB draft, but there doesn't appear to be one.

Can someone let me know what the status of this work is ?

Thanks!
Randy

P PLEASE CONSIDER OUR ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments. Thank you.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:51:43 -0400

Turner, Randy <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > On the IETF ROLL WG page, I was looking for a current (not expired)
    > version of the RPL MIB draft, but there doesn?t appear to be one.

It likely expired.

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sehgal-roll-rpl-mib/

    > Can someone let me know what the status of this work is ?

The WG has discussed this question a few times and has not reached any consensus.

Here is the summary:

1) many feel that an **SNMP** Agent is not going to fit into constrained devices.
2) Jurgen has demonstrated it does fit into a class 2 device on using
   Contiki.
3) others have pointed out that SNMP is not the only way to deal with a MIB,
   and the important things in a MIB is the set of statistics which one might
   collect, and transmit in *some* way.
4) opinions have ranged from HTTP / CoAP to NetCONF/YANG as other transport
   alternatives to SNMP.

I think that it is simply early for many people to talk about having
consistent sets of statistics... BUT. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PROVE ME WRONG.

In particular, I think that *some* standard way to get the network adjacency
matrix (as well as the DODAG) out of motes would be very useful for network
operators.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/