Subject: [Roll] draft-do-roll-p2p-backup

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:50:48 -0500

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-do-roll-p2p-backup-01.txt
recently expired.

Abstract
   In this draft, a backup path setup mechanism is proposed for the
   P2P-RPL protocol in Low Power and Lossy Networks (LLNs). This
   mechanism allows sensor nodes to send packets over the backup path
   without rediscovering the p2p path in case of path failure, thus
   improving the reliability of p2p transmission.

====

I read the document prior to it expiring, and I can see how this could be
useful in many networks.  The document claims:

   Nodes utilize the interactive path
   as alternative to quickly recover from failure to send packets to
   the destination instead of recreating the path.

It would be interesting to have feedback from deployments about how valuable
having an alternative path would be.

I did not yet understand how the backup nodes are used.
Can this protocol be incrementally deployed?

Is there interest in further discussion of this document?

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/