Subject: [Roll] [roll] #151: draft-ietf-roll-security-threats - Add further clarification/information - Section 1-4

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 19:58:20 -0000

#151: draft-ietf-roll-security-threats - Add further clarification/information -
Section 1-4

 Reported by Robert Cragie as Doc. Shepherd. - 02/17/2014

 * Section 1 Introduction

   All of this document concerns itself with securing the control plane
 traffic.  As such it does not address authorization or authentication of
 application traffic, nor does it deal with multicast traffic controls.
 Mechanisms used to secure RPL traffic SHOULD be leveraged  to secure other
 protocols.

 <rcc>
 It should do, because often normal traffic is used to judge metrics used
 for routing. Unless normal traffic can be authenticated, it may be
 fraudulent and therefore ineligible for inclusion in metrics

 Also, given the importance of multicast in RPL (for disseminating DIOs),
 it does need to be considered
 </rcc>

 * Section 3.3: Issues Specific to or Amplified in LLN

    The work [RFC5548], [RFC5673], [RFC5826], and [RFC5867] have identified
 specific issues and constraints of routing in LLNs for the urban,
 industrial, home automation, and building automation application domains,
 respectively.  The following is a list of observations and evaluation of
 their impact on routing security considerations.

 <rcc>Too many inferences are made inline. It just needs a short summary
 and then relate it to the constraints it puts on the assets identified
 earlier</rcc>

 * Section 3.4.  RPL Security Objectives

 <rcc>This section seems superfluous as it is all covered elsewhere</rcc>

 * Section 4.  Threat Sources

    [RFC4593] provides a detailed review of the threat sources: outsiders
 and byzantine.  RPL has the same threat sources.

 <rcc>It's probably easier to establish as early on as possible (in the
 assets section) that the routing process has all the properties of a
 general system (in terms of using data at rest, data in transit,
 information accumulation, information processing and information update)
 and therefore is subject to the same set of general threats and subsequent
 attacks</rcc>

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  security-threats         |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/151>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:39:49 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * cc: [email-masked] (added)
 * owner:  [email-masked] =>
            [email-masked]
 * status:  new => assigned

-- 
---------------------------------------+-------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:
Component:  security-threats           |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                             |
---------------------------------------+-------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/151#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>