Subject: [Roll] [roll] #147: Unclear when the M flag should be cleared or set

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:06:47 -0000

#147: Unclear when the M flag should be cleared or set

 Thread: ​​http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg08473.html

 From: Axel Colin de Verdière <axel-ietf at axelcdv.com> Date: Sat, 8 Feb
 2014 01:26:50 +0100

 - In section 9.2, it is unclear when the M flag should be cleared or set:
 why would it be arbitrarily cleared and not indicate whether or not this
 message's sequence number is the largest one received?

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast            |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/147>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:39:51 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Thread: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg08478.html

 From: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui at cisco.com>
 Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:03:00 +0000

 The M flag helps indicate whether a receiving node should reset its
 Trickle timer.  If the M flag is not set and the sequence number is lower
 than what is already known, there is no need to reset the Trickle timer.

 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/147#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:13:14 -0000

Thread: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg08497.html

 From: Axel Colin de Verdière <axel-ietf at axelcdv.com>
 Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 01:05:18 +0100

 I understand that, I just did not fully grasp the formulation in the
 draft. In clear, I don't get why this text:

 When transmitting an MPL Data Message, the MPL Forwarder MUST either
    set the M flag to zero or set it to a level that indicates whether or
    not the message's sequence number is the largest value that has been
    received from the MPL Seed.

 Is not simply formulated this way:

 When transmitting an MPL Data Message, the MPL Forwarder MUST
    set the M flag to a level that indicates whether or
    not the message's sequence number is the largest value that has been
    received from the MPL Seed.

 The text from the draft seems to indicate that the M flag can be
 arbitrarily set to zero, or set to the proper value indicating the state
 of the forwarder.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/147#comment:2>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:10:33 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Thread: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg08501.html

 From: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui at cisco.com>
 Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:45:36 +0000

 The text is written to allow one to reduce MPL to a simple flood with
 packet caching to avoid receiving a packet more than once.  In this case,
 there is no real need to maintain the largest sequence number.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:
Component:  trickle-mcast            |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/147#comment:3>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>