Subject: [Roll] [roll] #156: draft-ietf-roll-security-threats-06 - RPL control message are broadcast

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 20:22:00 -0000

#156: draft-ietf-roll-security-threats-06 - RPL control message are broadcast

 Reported by Robert Cragie - 02/17/2014

 7.2.  Integrity Features

    The integrity of routing information provides the basis for ensuring
 that the function of the routing protocol is achieved and maintained. To
 protect integrity, RPL must either run using only the Secure versions of
 the messages, or must run over a layer-2 that uses  channel binding
 between node identity and transmissions. (i.e.: a layer-2 which has an
 identical network-wide transmission key can not defend against many
 attacks)

 <rcc>
 So how do we fix the conundrum that many significant RPL control messages
 (e.g DIO) are broadcast, which in link layer terms typically means they
 are transmitted using LL broadcast address without acknowledgements? We
 can't use pairwise link keys. Saying a network wide key "cannot defend
 against many attacks" is a poor generalization without any real analysis
 behind it.

 If a network-wide key has been distributed in a secure fashion and the
 confidentiality of the key on every node can be guaranteed, then it is a
 perfectly legitimate way to provide confidentiality, data origin
 authentication and integrity protection, especially for broadcast
 messages.
 </rcc>

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  security-threats         |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/156>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:51:54 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] =>
            [email-masked]
 * status:  new => assigned

-- 
---------------------------------------+-------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:
Component:  security-threats           |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                             |
---------------------------------------+-------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/156#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>