Subject: Re: [Roll] Interest in opportunistic routing? (Simon Duquennoy)

From: Jongsoo Jeong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 01:34:33 +0000

Hi, Simon.

I'm interested in your work.
And I have a question about handling duplicate packets.

In your SenSys paper, I saw 'The duty-cycled anycast used by ORPL sometimes results in multiple nodes forwarding the same packet, and generating duplicates. We filter out duplicates at the routing layer to reduce unnecessary forwarding.'.
I wonder how the routing layer filters out the duplicates, and it can guarantee no duplicates at the final destination.

Thanks.
-Jongsoo
________________________________
From : "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent : 2014-03-08 00:27:09 ( +09:00 )
To : [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc :
Subject : Roll Digest, Vol 74, Issue 5

Send Roll mailing list submissions to
[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Roll digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Interest in opportunistic routing? (Simon Duquennoy)
2. Re: Interest in opportunistic routing? (Michael Richardson)
3. Re: Interest in opportunistic routing? (Simon Duquennoy)
4. Re: Interest in opportunistic routing? (Pascal Thubert (pthubert))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:54:37 +0100
From: Simon Duquennoy
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Roll] Interest in opportunistic routing?
Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Dear all,

We have designed an opportunistic extension of RPL, where the basic idea is
to exploit all links of the DODAG rather than the tree defined by links to
preferred parents. We do this using anycast: transmissions are intended
either (upwards) to any parent or (downwards) to any child having the
destination below in the DODAG.

The intuition why this is a good idea is that you don't even need to find
out which link is best for you, but rather use available links whenever
they are usable (increases robustness). Furthermore, in radio duty cycled
environment, anycast is also notoriously more energy-efficient and
low-latency than unicast.

We have a working prototype [1] in Contiki that we evaluated thoroughly in
a 135-node testbed [2]. In a 4-min packet interval data collection, we
increase the reliability of RPL from 97.4 to 99.5%, while halving the
latency (below 0.5s) and radio duty cycle (below 0.5%).

If there is interest, we can come up with a simplified version of the
design presented in the paper, and propose a way to integrate it in RPL
through only a few minor additions. To be more specific, the simplified
version would use the existing RPL routing tables rather than Bloom
filters, and would be MAC-layer agnostic (the only assumption being that
the MAC layer supports anycast).

Best regards,
Simon Duquennoy

[1] https://github.com/simonduq/orpl
[2] www.simonduquennoy.net/papers/duquennoy13orpl.pdf
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:

------------------------------
...
------------------------------

End of Roll Digest, Vol 74, Issue 5
***********************************

---

From: Simon Duquennoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:16:12 +0100

Dear Jongsoo,

We do not guarantee end-to-end duplicate avoidance, all we do is filter
duplicates out at the routing layer in a best effort fashion. Fig 6d shows
the portion of duplicate in the overall traffic, and with ORPL properly
configured, we are in the 10%-range. Duplicates incur some energy waste,
but this is outweighed by the benefits of opportunistic routing, i.e. even
in the presence of duplicates ORPL reduces energy consumption (Fig 6c).

Avoiding duplicates totally would require an agreement procedure integrated
with MAC anycast, but this also means increased complexity and probably
increased baseline energy consumption for every transmission.

Best,
Simon

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Jongsoo Jeong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In your SenSys paper, I saw 'The duty-cycled anycast used by ORPL
> sometimes results in multiple nodes forwarding the same packet, and
> generating duplicates. We filter out duplicates at the routing layer to
> reduce unnecessary forwarding.'.
> I wonder how the routing layer filters out the duplicates, and it can
> guarantee no duplicates at the final destination.
>
> Thanks.
> -Jongsoo
>  *From : *"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> *Sent : *2014-03-08 00:27:09 ( +09:00 )
> *To : [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
> *Cc : *
> *Subject : *Roll Digest, Vol 74, Issue 5
>