Subject: Re: [Roll] [roll] #156 (security-threats): draft-ietf-roll-security-threats-06 - RPL control message are broadcast

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 17:41:47 -0000

#156: draft-ietf-roll-security-threats-06 - RPL control message are broadcast

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 A layer-2 symmetric key that has been shared between more than two nodes
 can not be used to
 provide data origin authentication.  That's the problem with
 broadcast/multicast messages and
 layer-2 keying.
 It works fine if you have complete trust in all of the nodes that have the
 layer-2 key.
 If you haven't got complete trust in all the nodes, then an asymmetric
 (layer-3) key needs to sign the broadcast messages.

-- 
---------------------------------------+-------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:
Component:  security-threats           |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                             |
---------------------------------------+-------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/156#comment:2>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>