Subject: [Roll] [roll] #163 (applicability-home-building): DAO Policy

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:09:42 -0000

#163: DAO Policy

 Yvonne-Anne Pignolet:
 In 4.1.3. The authors consider DAO policy to be
 out of scope. However, if basic RPL is applicable for home and
 building automation scenarios then due to P2MP traffic  from roots
 DAOs are required. As in the industrial applicability statement I thus
 recommend a paragraph such as "Nodes send DAO messages to establish
 downward paths from the root to themselves. DAO messages are not
 acknowledged in networks composed of battery operated field devices in
 order to minimize the power consumption overhead associated with path
 discovery.  If devices in LLNs participate in multiple RPL instances
 and DODAGs, it is highly recommended that both the RPLInstance ID and
 the DODAGID be included in the DAO."  If the mailing list consensus is
 that P2P RPL is to be used only, then this Section should state that
 DAO messages are not sent in this case. In addition a comment on
 P2P-DRO  Acknowledgement (P2P-DRO-ACK) would be helpful

 Peter van der Stok:
 Some text to motivate the out of scope of DAO policy can be added.
 For the multiple RPL instances, I prefer to include a reference to other
 texts.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-
  [email-masked]      |  applicability-home-
     Type:  defect                   |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  minor                    |     Status:  new
Component:  applicability-home-      |  Milestone:
  building                           |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/163>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 01:18:58 +0100

HI Yvonne,

after some discussions we propose the following text, that you will 
easily recognize.

Nodes send DAO messages to establish
downward paths from the root to themselves. DAO messages are not
acknowledged in networks composed of battery operated field devices in
order to minimize the power consumption overhead associated with path
discovery. The DAO messages build up a source route because the nodes 
are recommended to be in non-storing mode.
If devices in LLNs participate in multiple RPL instances
and DODAGs, it is highly recommended that both the RPLInstance ID and
the DODAGID be included in the DAO.

many thanks,

Peter

---

From: Yvonne-Anne Pignolet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:59:56 +0000

Dear Peter

Thanks for your suggestions on this and the other tickets I opened (#162-166). I agree with your proposed improvements and I am looking forward to the next version :)

Regards
Yvonne-Anne

Yvonne-Anne Pignolet
Dr. Sc. ETH Zürich
ABB Corporate Research
Segelhofstrasse 1K
5400 Baden-Dättwil, Switzerland
Phone: +41 58 586 86 56
Mobile: +41 79 766 10 54
email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Roll [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of peter van der Stok
Sent: Donnerstag, 13. November 2014 16:19
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Roll] [roll] #163 (applicability-home-building): DAO Policy

HI Yvonne,

after some discussions we propose the following text, that you will easily recognize.

Nodes send DAO messages to establish
downward paths from the root to themselves. DAO messages are not acknowledged in networks composed of battery operated field devices in order to minimize the power consumption overhead associated with path discovery. The DAO messages build up a source route because the nodes are recommended to be in non-storing mode.
If devices in LLNs participate in multiple RPL instances and DODAGs, it is highly recommended that both the RPLInstance ID and the DODAGID be included in the DAO.

many thanks,

Peter

>  For the multiple RPL instances, I prefer to include a reference to 

_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:55:14 -0000

#163: DAO Policy

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Proposed text

 Nodes send DAO messages to establish
 downward paths from the root to themselves. DAO messages are not
 acknowledged in networks composed of battery operated field devices in
 order to minimize the power consumption overhead associated with path
 discovery. The DAO messages build up a source route because the nodes are
 recommended to be in non-storing mode.
 If devices in LLNs participate in multiple RPL instances
 and DODAGs, it is highly recommended that both the RPLInstance ID and
 the DODAGID be included in the DAO.

 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/163#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:55:39 -0000

#163: DAO Policy

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-
  [email-masked]      |  applicability-home-
     Type:  defect                   |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  minor                    |      Status:  closed
Component:  applicability-home-      |   Milestone:
  building                           |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/163#comment:2>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>