Subject: [Roll] home-building-requirements section 7.1

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:16:12 -0500

I am very pleased with the document; I hope the WG is reading it, and is
also happy with it.

In secton 7.1 you mention use of PANA to secure new nodes.
The reference seems very hesistant, and the DTLS relay is just kind of
thrown in.   Can you make this recommendation more concrete? Or remove it.

If it's PANA, I assume EAP is involved, and so what what EAP methods should
be used?

I think that, having read this document, I ought to be able to create a
light-bulb or light switch --- I think that I can make it function in the
network, but I don't think it will use the same enrollment tools at all, and
I'd sure like to change that.  I don't mind being really really specific
here: I encourage it. 

I also don't know what protocol to use for turning lights on/off, but I
acknowledge that is out of scope for the ROLL WG to specify.  Perhaps there
is an informative reference I missed.

I think that unless you have a specific way to use the DTLS relay, you should
remove the reference -- it doesn't help anyone trying to implement an
interoperable device.

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works 
IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/

---

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:17:47 +0100

HI Michael,

thanks for the encouragement.
Concerning bootstrap and security in general. Many things are going on 
and there are two approaches to this document:
1) a conservative one; restrict to what exists and is is proven to work
2) leaving the doubt that exists today.

For the moment I like to leave the doubt, because in 5 years, what is 
sure today will not be implemented is my conviction

Concerning switching on/off:
That is SDO stuff; KNX , BACnet , etc... are preparing additional 
standards.

What are enrollment tools?

Peter

---

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:50:26 +0100

Hi Michael, rereading section 7.1, I suggest the following replacement:

A new DTLS protocol is proproposed in [dtls-relay]
  To be replaced with:
New approaches to initial security deployment are being developed in 
[dtls-relay] and [6tisch bootstrap]. Other initiatives are likely to 
emerge in the context of minimal intervention configuration.
At this moment it is not clear what the final most widely deployed 
solution will be.