Subject: [Roll] [Gen-art] review: draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy-02

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:59:36 -0500

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy-02
     MPL forwarder policy for multicast with admin-local scope
Reviewer: Joel M. Halpern
Review Date: 15-December-2014
IETF LC End Date: 24-December-2014
IESG Telechat date: N/A

Summary: This document is not ready for publication as an Informational RFC.

Major issues:
     There seems to be a disconnect between the notion of 
administratively configured and the behavior described in this draft for 
admin-local multicast scope.  As far as I can tell, the forwarding 
behavior described here has no mechanism for administratively 
configuring the administrative boundary.  The only knob that is used is 
PROACTIVE_FORWARDING, which is used for intra-realm multicast 
forwarding.  Thus, if you have a roll multicast router with two 
interfaces in one realm and two interfaces in another realm, in order to 
provide realm multicast services for each realm, this router according 
to this draft will always forward admin-local multicast messages between 
the two realms.  That does not seem to me to match the requirement for 
administrative configuration of the admin-local scope.

Minor issues:
     I believe that MPL In the title should be expanded.  It should also 
be expanded upon first use within the document.

Nits/editorial comments: