Subject: [Roll] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy-03: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 20:51:29 -0800

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy-03: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

One question: In this text:

4.1.  Legal multicast messages

   Multicast messages can be created within the node by an application
   or can arrive at an interface.

   A multicast message created at a source (MPL seed) is legal when it
   conforms to the properties described in section 9.1 of
   [I-D.ietf-roll-trickle-mcast].

   A multicast message received at a given interface is legal when:

   o  The message carries an MPL option (MPL message) and the incoming
      MPL interface is subscribed to the destination multicast address.

   o  The message does not carry an MPL option, the multicast address is
      unequal to ALL_MPL_FORWARDERS scope 4 or scope 3, and the
      interface has expressed interest to receive messages with the
      specified multicast address via MLD [RFC3810] or via IGMP
      [RFC3376].  The message was sent on according to PIM-DM [RFC3973]
      or according to PIM-SM [RFC4601].

   Illegal multicast messages are discarded.

4.2.  Forwarding legal packets

   A legal multicast message received at a given interface is assigned
   the network identifier of the interface of the incoming link . A
   message that is created within the node is assigned the network
   identifier "any".

   Two types of legal multicast messages are considered: (1) MPL
   messages, and (2) multicast messages which do not carry the MPL
   option.
   
Is "legal/illegal" the right terminology for this?