Subject: [Roll] [roll] #169 (draft-richardson-roll-applicability-template): Work Item Proposals

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 10:14:41 -0000

#169: Work Item Proposals

 Source: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg09217.html

 From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert at cisco.com> - Thu, 2 Apr
 2015

 - One is a MOP based on BIER and/or Bloom filters, which is a way to
 compress BIER with a chance of false positive. Carsten has a draft that
 details the use of Bloom filters for source routing, but really both BIER
 and Bloom can apply to either storing and non-storing.

 - Work on mixed storing and non-storing, and all sort of optimization for
 the storing mode. I’m aware of feasible solutions in that space that
 really should be shared and made available to all.

 - Work on additional capabilities that we did not initially include in the
 spec:

 - The capability to kill a route from the root, e.g. if a DAO state is
 installed and should be cleaned up, e.g. if the root realizes that the
 node is no more there or there is a duplication or what-else.

 - The capability to trigger a DAO from the root if a target is expected to
 be present in the network but there is no DAO state (maybe to save
 resources)

 - The capability to request the triggering of a new iteration of a DODAG
 from a RPL node or a controlling element.

 ------ 2015-03-31 - Pascal Thubert:

 - How RPL works outside LLNs and in mixed environments?

 - I'd like to see work on RPL over foo where foo is Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
 Applicability of RPL in various environments outside LLN would be of
 interest, e.g. to build a Wi-Fi mesh or an unmanaged network. It seems
 that a DT will form at HOMENET to select a routing protocol, and an
 applicability statement of RPL for that case would be a good read if we
 can produce it in time.

 - From our experience of actually doing RPL over Ethernet, it is mostly a
 matter of *not* using the packet artifacts, probably not using the stretch
 in local repair, and reacting immediately to changes in link state. This
 is a very small spec indeed, mostly guidance on what to use and what not
 to use from RFC 6550, how to tune some parameters, which OF to use and
 how.

 - The work should also detail the mode where there is a backbone and a
 virtual root. I think that the current charter does not cover work outside
 LLN but considering that we are the group that knows RPL best, that work
 should happen here.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-richardson-roll-
  [email-masked]          |  applicability-
     Type:  task                     |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  minor                    |     Status:  new
Component:  draft-richardson-roll-   |  Milestone:
  applicability-template             |    Version:
 Severity:  Candidate WG Document    |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/169>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>