Subject: [Roll] replacing RFC6775

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 22:52:30 -0400

Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > (I also would like to see a resolution of the question whether ROLL is
    > now planning to officially replace RFC 6775 for all intents and
    > purposes.  We could have done that but didn't.  Was there a point?  But
    > that is maybe a separate question.)

Are you asking if we intend to replace ND with efficient-ND, or are you
asking if ROLL networks will do no ND at all?

In our analysis of the RPI/RH3, one of the things that came up is that when
there are leafs which are plain 6lowpan nodes, which run 6775 (or classic
ND), that we have a problem.  The issue is that the sending system needs to
know whether or not the end node is a ROLL or 6775 node prior to sending.
While the DODAG root can know this, other nodes can not a-priori.  The reason
is because an IPIP header needs to be inserted (or not), and the IPIP
header needs to be accurately addressed.  
This is in the useofrpi ID, and we are trying to explain it in some diagrams.

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-

---

From: "Turner, Randy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 12:39:06 +0000

My pitch in Prague was that there were ROLL networks that do not need ND but could use some valuable options carried by ND - the DIO compression context draft reflects one of the higher value options that I could think of. There may still be LoWPAN scenarios that could still benefit from 6775

Randy

> On Oct 31, 2015, at 8:01 AM, Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

P PLEASE CONSIDER OUR ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments. Thank you.