Subject: [Roll] FW: New Non-WG Mailing List: lp-wan -- Low-Power Wide Area Networking (LP-WAN), also known as LPWA or Low-Rate WAN (LR-WAN)

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:17:39 +0000

FYI..

On 11/10/15, 3:05 PM, "IETF-Announce on behalf of IETF Secretariat"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]>
wrote:

>A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.
>
>List address: [email-masked]
>Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=lp-wan
>To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lp-wan
>
>Purpose:
>
>An LP-WAN has unique constraints, not seen until now - operation in the
>ISM bands (unlicensed spectrum), very low throughput (300 bps - 50 kbps),
>very high density (10 000-100 000 nodes per Access Point (AP)),
>infrastructure networks (star topology, no need for routing), AP
>diversity (several APs can receive the same signal), coexistence of
>public networks (country-wide) and private networks (city, building,
>campus). Asymmetric links are also common, with at least one major
>technology providing exclusively unidirectional data services.
>
>LP-WANs will form the backbone of major IoT applications related to many
>domains, such as Smart City, Smart Metering, ITS and are expected to
>connect 3 billion devices by 2020. There are several such LP- WAN radio
>technologies (Semtech LoRa, SigFox, Qowisio, others), each having a
>proprietary, locked-in, non-standard solution for addressing,
>localization, security, provisioning, AAA, etc. This is the case because
>the stringent LP-WAN constraints do not allow for classical approaches to
>be used as-is. 
>
>The goal of this mailing list is to discuss the problems that arise in
>LP-WANs and how the IETF-based solutions apply to them. This is the place
>to identify the candidate LP-WAN technologies, their specific constraints
>and limitations, consider the corresponding IETF approaches, and discuss
>the need for profiles or adaptations of the existing solutions.
>
>For additional information, please contact the list administrators.
>