Subject: [Roll] RFC 7731 on Multicast Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (MPL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 15:33:40 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7731

        Title:      Multicast Protocol for Low-Power and 
                    Lossy Networks (MPL) 
        Author:     J. Hui, R. Kelsey
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 63216
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7731

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7731

This document specifies the Multicast Protocol for Low-Power and
Lossy Networks (MPL), which provides IPv6 multicast forwarding in
constrained networks.  MPL avoids the need to construct or maintain
any multicast forwarding topology, disseminating messages to all MPL
Forwarders in an MPL Domain.

MPL has two modes of operation.  One mode uses the Trickle algorithm
to manage control-plane and data-plane message transmissions and is
applicable for deployments with few multicast sources.  The other
mode uses classic flooding.  By providing both modes and
parameterization of the Trickle algorithm, an MPL implementation can
be used in a variety of multicast deployments and can trade between
dissemination latency and transmission efficiency.

This document is a product of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:37:59 -0500

It's been a long haul for the authors here.
My sincere thanks to:
   Jonathan Hui
   Richard Kelsey
   Peter van der Stok
   Robert Cragie
   Anders Brandt
   E. Baccelli

You guys persevered through a really long IESG and RFC-editor queue process.
Remember that RFC7732 (admin-local scope) was decided back in November 2013
at the Vancouver IETF, ad the dinner BOF.

*** It was *SUPPOSED* to be the shortest RFC ever ***

Whew.  Now on to more controversial topics: Leaf node support in RPL.

Ines & Michael.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/

---

From: Paul Duffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:37:36 -0500

+1!

;)

On 2/19/2016 11:37 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll