Subject: [Roll] [roll] #174 (routing-dispatch): consider changing RPI HbH header value from 63 to 43.

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:13:15 -0000

#174: consider changing RPI HbH header value from 63 to 43.

 6man considers obsoleting HbH processing in routers, which would result in
 either all packets containing HbH headers being dropped by the Internet at
 large, or all HbH headers being ignored, regardless of their value.
 What hosts will do with HbH is unknown in this process, but we know at
 least that changing the value to 43 would permit existing hosts to accept
 the RPI header as is.
 This change would be deployed along with the routing-dispatch compression,
 and it may result in some cases not requiring an additional IPIP header.

 (In particular, the storing case for traffic within the LLN, with non-RPL
 aware leaf nodes would be able to use only the RPI header, and it could be
 inserted at the originator of the packet, assuming it is RPL aware)

 While there are still many cases that would require an IPIP header to be
 inserted, I still think that this change is worthwhile.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-roll-routing-
  [email-masked]       |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  routing-     |    Version:
  dispatch               |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Active WG    |
  Document               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/174>
roll <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>