Subject: [Roll] Request for Comments ROLL Charter - version 06

From: Ines Robles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 20:47:07 +0300

Dear all,

Please find the new charter. We have reduced the history part, removed
redundant text and updated work items.

Please comments

Thank you very much,

Peter and Ines

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CHARTER PROPOSAL:

Charter for ROLL Working Group

Low power and Lossy Networks (LLNs ) [RFC7102] [RFC7228] are made up of
many embedded devices with limited power, memory, and processing resources.
They are interconnected by a variety of links, such as IEEE 802.15.4,
Bluetooth, Low Power WiFi, wired or other low power PLC (Powerline
Communication) links. LLNs are transitioning to an end-to-end IP-based
solution to avoid the problem of non-interoperable networks interconnected
by protocol translation gateways and proxies.

Generally speaking, LLNs are characterized as follows, but not limited to:

   -

   LLNs operate with a hard, very small bound on state.
   -

   In most cases, LLN optimize for saving energy by using small packet
   headers and reduce amount of control packets.
   -

   Typical traffic patterns are not simply unicast flows (e.g. in some
   cases most if not all traffic can be point to multipoint).
   -

   In most cases, LLNs will be employed over link layers with restricted
   frame-sizes and low bit rates, thus a routing protocol for LLNs should be
   specifically adapted for such link layers.
   -

   LLN routing protocols have to be very careful when trading off
   efficiency for generality; since LLN nodes do not have resources to waste.
   -

   These specific properties cause LLNs to have specific routing
   requirements.

RFC 5548, 5673, 5826, and 5876 describe the requirements for LLNs from
several application perspectives.

The Working Group has focused on routing solutions for the areas: connected
home, building and urban sensor networks. It has developed a  protocol set
that takes into consideration various aspects including high reliability in
the presence of time varying loss characteristics and connectivity while
permitting low-power operation with very modest memory and CPU pressure in
networks potentially comprising a very large number (several thousands) of
nodes.

The Working Group continues to focus on routing issues for LLN and to
maintain, improve and streamline the protocols developed by the working
group, including RPL and MPL.

ROLL will coordinate closely with the working groups in other areas that
focus on constrained node networks, such as 6lo (Internet) and CoRE (APP).
behavior and the other protocols defined by the working groupThe Working
group will align with the 6man and BIER WGs when needed.

Work Items are:

- Guidance in using RFC6553, RFC6554, and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation. The
WGLC on this work will be shared with 6lo.

- Compression of  RFC6553, RFC6554, and IP headers in the 6LoWPAN
adaptation layer context. (coordinated with 6lo WG).

- Automatic selection of MPL forwarders to reduce message replication

- Data models for RPL and MPL management (coordinated with netmod wg)

- Alternative Multicast algorithm such as BIER forwarding.
two

- Methods to improve or correct the current RPL control messages behaviour,
e.g. DIS and No-Path DAO.

Milestones

DATE                            Milestone

September 2017            Recharter WG or close

March 2017           Initial submission of draft about YANG RPL model to
IESG

January 2017         Initial submission of draft about MPL selection to IESG

November 2016        Initial submission of draft about Bier Multicast to
IESG

October 2016         Submit draft about YANG MPL model to IESG

August 2016          Initial Submission of the draft about when to use
RFC6553, RFC6554, and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation
Draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo to the IESG.

May 2016             Initial submission of the draft about how to compress
RFC6553, RFC6554, and IP headers in the 6LoWPAN adaptation layer context.
 to the IESG. draft-ietf-roll-routing-dispatch
November 2016        Initial Submission of the No-Path DAO Problem
Statement to the IESG

---

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 19:52:30 +0200

Ines, Peter,

Looks good to me. Two typos: "groupThe " and an etra "two" in the items.
T

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Ines Robles <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> The Working Group has focused on routing solutions for the areas:
> connected home, building and urban sensor networks. It has developed a
>  protocol set that takes into consideration various aspects including high
> reliability in the presence of time varying loss characteristics and
> connectivity while permitting low-power operation with very modest memory
> and CPU pressure in networks potentially comprising a very large number
> (several thousands) of nodes.
>
> - Methods to improve or correct the current RPL control messages
> behaviour, e.g. DIS and No-Path DAO.
>
> Milestones
>
> DATE                            Milestone
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
>
>

-- 
_______________________________________

Thomas Watteyne, PhD
Research Scientist & Innovator, Inria
Sr Networking Design Eng, Linear Tech
Founder & co-lead, UC Berkeley OpenWSN
Co-chair, IETF 6TiSCH

www.thomaswatteyne.com
_______________________________________

---

From: Ines Robles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 21:23:56 +0300

Ok, Thank you Thomas! :-)

2016-07-18 20:52 GMT+03:00 Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Ines Robles <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> - Guidance in using RFC6553, RFC6554, and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation.
>> The WGLC on this work will be shared with 6lo.
>>
>> May 2016             Initial submission of the draft about how to
>> compress RFC6553, RFC6554, and IP headers in the 6LoWPAN adaptation layer
>> context.  to the IESG. draft-ietf-roll-routing-dispatch