Subject: [Roll] Request for Comments ROLL Charter - version 07

From: Ines Robles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 15:18:37 +0300

Dear all,

Please find a new version of the proposed charter. We have corrected the
typos and updated the milestones.

Please comment.

Thank you very much,

Peter and Ines

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CHARTER PROPOSAL:

Charter for ROLL Working Group

Low power and Lossy Networks (LLNs ) [RFC7102] [RFC7228] are made up of
many embedded devices with limited power, memory, and processing resources.
They are interconnected by a variety of links, such as IEEE 802.15.4,
Bluetooth, Low Power WiFi, wired or other low power PLC (Powerline
Communication) links. LLNs are transitioning to an end-to-end IP-based
solution to avoid the problem of non-interoperable networks interconnected
by protocol translation gateways and proxies.

Generally speaking, LLNs are characterized as follows, but not limited to:

LLNs operate with a hard, very small bound on state.
In most cases, LLN optimize for saving energy by using small packet headers
and reduce amount of control packets.
Typical traffic patterns are not simply unicast flows (e.g. in some cases
most if not all traffic can be point to multipoint).
In most cases, LLNs will be employed over link layers with restricted
frame-sizes and low bit rates, thus a routing protocol for LLNs should be
specifically adapted for such link layers.
LLN routing protocols have to be very careful when trading off efficiency
for generality; since LLN nodes do not have resources to waste.
These specific properties cause LLNs to have specific routing requirements.

RFC 5548, 5673, 5826, and 5876 describe the requirements for LLNs from
several application perspectives.
The Working Group has focused on routing solutions for the areas: connected
home, building and urban sensor networks. It has developed a  protocol set
that takes into consideration various aspects including high reliability in
the presence of time varying loss characteristics and connectivity while
permitting low-power operation with very modest memory and CPU pressure in
networks potentially comprising a very large number (several thousands) of
nodes.

The Working Group continues to focus on routing issues for LLN and to
maintain, improve and streamline the protocols developed by the working
group, including RPL and MPL.

ROLL will coordinate closely with the working groups in other areas that
focus on constrained node networks, such as 6lo (Internet) and CoRE (APP).
behavior and the other protocols defined by the working group. The Working
group will align with the 6man, NETMOD and BIER WGs when needed.

Work Items are:

- Guidance in using RFC6553, RFC6554, and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation. The
WGLC on this work will be shared with 6lo.

- Compression of  RFC6553, RFC6554, and IP headers in the 6LoWPAN
adaptation layer context. (coordinated with 6lo WG).

- Automatic selection of MPL forwarders to reduce message replication

- Data models for RPL and MPL management (coordinated with netmod wg)

- Alternative Multicast algorithm such as BIER forwarding.

- Methods to improve or correct the current RPL control messages behaviour,
e.g. DIS and No-Path DAO.

Milestone

Date                                       Milestones

May 2016  --------------------- Initial submission of the draft about how
to compress RFC6553, RFC6554, and IP headers in the 6LoWPAN adaptation
layer context.  to the IESG. draft-ietf-roll-routing-dispatch

August 2016 ------------------- Initial Submission of the draft about when
to use RFC6553, RFC6554, and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation
Draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo to the IESG.

October 2016 ------------------ Submit draft about YANG MPL model to IESG

January 2017 ------------------ Initial submission of draft about MPL
Forwarder selection to IESG

March 2017 -------------------- Initial submission of draft about YANG RPL
model to IESG

April 2017  ------------------- Initial submission of draft about BIER
Multicast to IESG

April 2017  ------------------- Initial Submission of the No-Path DAO
Problem Statement to the IESG

April 2017  ------------------- Initial Submission of the DIS Modifications
Document to the IESG

September 2017 ---------------- Recharter WG or close