Subject: [Roll] WG Action: Rechartered Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:31:31 -0800

The Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll) WG in the Routing
Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Peter Van der Stok <[email-masked]>
  Ines Robles <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
  Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/roll/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-roll/

Low power and Lossy Networks (LLNs ) are made up of many embedded 
devices with limited power, memory, and processing resources. They are 
interconnected by a variety of links, such as IEEE 802.15.4, Bluetooth, 
Low Power WiFi, wired or other low power PLC (Powerline Communication) 
links. LLNs are transitioning to an end-to-end IP-based solution to 
avoid the problem of non-interoperable networks interconnected by 
protocol translation gateways and proxies.

RFC7102 discusses ROLL specific aspects of LLNs, and RFC7228 provides 
additional terminology for constrained devices. RFC 5548, 5673, 5826, 
and 5876 describe the requirements for LLNs from several application 
perspectives.

The Working Group has focused on routing solutions for the areas: 
connected home, building, and urban sensor networks. It has developed a 
Framework that takes into consideration various aspects including high 
reliability in the presence of time varying loss characteristics and 
connectivity while permitting low-power operation with very modest 
memory and CPU pressure in networks potentially comprising a very large 
number (several thousands) of nodes.

The Working Group continues to focus on routing issues for LLN and to 
maintain, improve and streamline the protocols already developed, 
including RPL and MPL. The focus is on IPv6 work only. The Working Group
will pay particular attention to routing security and manageability 
(e.g., self-configuration) issues. The working group will consider the 
transport characteristics that routing protocol messages will 
experience.

ROLL will coordinate closely with the working groups in other areas that
focus on constrained networks and/or constrained nodes, such as 6lo, 
6tisch, ipwave, lwig and CoRE. Other working groups such as pim, bier 
and manet will be consulted as needed. The Working group will align with
the 6man WG when needed.

Work Items are:

- Guidance in using RFC6553, RFC6554, and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation. 

- Additional protocol elements to reduce packet size and the amount of 
  required routing states

- Automatic selection of MPL forwarders to reduce message replication. 

- Data models for RPL and MPL management.

- Multicast enhancements algorithms.

Milestones:
  Jan 2017 - Initial Submission of a proposal with uses cases for RPI,
RH3 and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation to the IESG
  Mar 2017 - Initial submission of a YANG model for MPL to the IESG
  Mar 2017 - Initial submission of a root initiated routing state in RPL
to the IESG
  Jul 2017 - Initial submission of a proposal for Source-Route Multicast
for RPL to the IESG
  Jul 2017 - Initial submission of a Forwarder Selection Protocol for MPL
to the IESG
  Nov 2017 - Initial submission of a reactive P2P route discovery
mechanism based on AODV-RPL protocol to the  IESG
  Nov 2017 - Initial submission of a proposal to augment DIS flags and
options to the IESG 
  Jul 2018 - Initial submission of a solution to the problems due to the
use of No-Path DAO Messages to the IESG 
  Sep 2018 - Recharter WG or close