Subject: [Roll] draft-qasem-roll-rpl-load-balancing

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 19:36:34 -0400

Three thoughts:

1) I think that this an interesting way to easily define a new metric
   ("number of children"), which could be used as part of tie-elimination.

   ** So, it's my thought that this is good work that should be adopted. **

2) It seems to me that on a non-broadcast interface (PPP IPsec tunnels, such as might
   be used in ANIMA for the ACP), that it would be reasonable for an
   implementation not to send a DIO out on the interface which it has chosen
   as it's parent.
   If that occurs, then the parent can't do it's counts correctly.
   But, in the ANIMA case, we are using storing mode, and we will use it with
   DAO-ACK, so we can count DAOs.

3) But, I then thought about other situations with multiple interfaces, and I
   realized that there is another case where there is propogation issues,
   and that is 6tisch.
   It 6tisch, it may well be that the parent is not listening on the slotchannel
   that the child uses to send it's DIOs, and so the parent won't hear.

   I'm not sufficiently familiar with the minimal schedule to know if this
   is commonly a problem, but it seems like a concern.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-