Subject: [Roll] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7774 (5063)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 17:19:36 -0000

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7774,
"Multicast Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (MPL) Parameter Configuration Option for DHCPv6".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5063

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: James K. <[email-masked]>

Section: 2.1

Original Text
-------------

   C_T_EXP (unsigned 16-bit integer):
      CONTROL_MESSAGE_TIMER_EXPIRATIONS.  0 and 0xffff are reserved and
      MUST NOT be used.

Corrected Text
--------------

   C_T_EXP (unsigned 16-bit integer):
      CONTROL_MESSAGE_TIMER_EXPIRATIONS.  0xffff is reserved and
      MUST NOT be used.

Notes
-----
[RFC 7731] states:

9.3.  MPL Data Message Processing

   o  If the MPL Control Message Trickle timer is not running and
      CONTROL_MESSAGE_TIMER_EXPIRATIONS is non-zero, the MPL Forwarder
      MUST initialize and start the MPL Control Message Trickle timer.

10.2.  MPL Control Message Transmission

   An MPL Forwarder transmits MPL Control Messages using the Trickle
   algorithm.  An MPL Forwarder maintains a single Trickle timer for
   each MPL Domain.  When CONTROL_MESSAGE_TIMER_EXPIRATIONS is 0, the
   MPL Forwarder does not execute the Trickle algorithm and does not
   transmit MPL Control Messages.

Thus, 0 is a valid configuration for C_T_EXP to disable Reactive Forwarding.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7774 (draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration-08)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Multicast Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (MPL) Parameter Configuration Option for DHCPv6
Publication Date    : March 2016
Author(s)           : Y. Doi, M. Gillmore
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG