Subject: [Roll] ANIMA ACP -08 -- estimating depth of DODAG in storing mode

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 02:36:57 -0400

Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > [One detail however:

    >> The loop-count MUST be sete to 255.  When an ACP node
    >> receives the M_FLOOD, it will have been reduced by the number of hops
    >> from the EST server.

    > I don't like that. The role of the loop count is loop prevention,
    > so it should be set to a reasonable upper bound on the "radius"
    > of the network. GRASP has two measures for loop detection, this
    > one and detection of duplicate session IDs, but that was
    > intentional redundancy.]

If we were using RPL in non-storing mode, we'd get DAO messages from the
leaves directly to the root indicating their parent.  The DODAG root would
therefore know exactly what the deepest leaf was.  That would be the radius
From the root to the furthest node, but of course discovery might happen from
edge to edge, so the longest path would therefore be 2x that size (up the
tree to the top and down again).

As we are using RPL in storing mode, the DAOs are summarized at each level,
we won't know that information.  That's kind too bad I think, because each
node knows how deep it is, they just don't report it to the root in anyway.

It would be easy to add a CHILD_MAX_RANK DAO option to the DAO packet.
It wouldn't make it to the top unless all nodes supported it, but it still
might be worth writing it down.

Unless someone else can figure out a way with existing information for a
DODAG root to know how deep the network is?

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-