Subject: [Roll] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC7774 (5057)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 12:40:54 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC7774, "Multicast Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (MPL) Parameter Configuration Option for DHCPv6". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5057

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: James K. <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2017-06-29
Held by: Alvaro Retana (IESG)

Section: 2.1

Original Text
-------------
DM_IMAX (unsigned 8-bit integer):  DATA_MESSAGE_IMAX.  The actual
      maximum timeout is described as a number of doublings of
      DATA_MESSAGE_IMIN, as described in [RFC6206], Section 4.1.
      0 and 0xff are reserved and MUST NOT be used.

Corrected Text
--------------
DM_IMAX (unsigned 8-bit integer):  DATA_MESSAGE_IMAX.  The actual
      maximum timeout is described as a number of doublings of
      DATA_MESSAGE_IMIN, as described in [RFC6206], Section 4.1.
      0xff is reserved and MUST NOT be used.

Notes
-----
RFC6206
The maximum interval size, Imax, is described as a number of
      doublings of the minimum interval size.

RFC7731
DATA_MESSAGE_IMAX  - The maximum Trickle timer interval, as defined
      in [RFC6206], for MPL Data Message transmissions.
      DATA_MESSAGE_IMAX has a default value equal to DATA_MESSAGE_IMIN.
also
   The default MPL parameters specify a forwarding strategy that
   utilizes both proactive and reactive techniques.  Using these default
   values, an MPL Forwarder proactively transmits any new MPL Data
   Messages it receives and then uses MPL Control Messages to trigger
   additional MPL Data Message retransmissions where message drops are
   detected.  Setting DATA_MESSAGE_IMAX to the same value as
   DATA_MESSAGE_IMIN in this case is acceptable, since subsequent MPL
   Data Message retransmissions are triggered by MPL Control Messages,
   where CONTROL_MESSAGE_IMAX is greater than CONTROL_MESSAGE_IMIN.

For DATA_MESSAGE_IMAX == DATA_MESSAGE_IMIN implies DM_IMAX=0.  0 is a valid value for DM_IMAX.

=====
[Alvaro Retana] 

The pointer to rfc7731 seems to indicate that the description for is incorrect. However, this document uses Normative language to define the DM_IMAX parameter. 

I am then not marking this report as Verified, but as "Hold for Document Update", which means that when this document is updated, the validity should be considered then. [1] 

[1] https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/errata-processing.html 

--------------------------------------
RFC7774 (draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration-08)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Multicast Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (MPL) Parameter Configuration Option for DHCPv6
Publication Date    : March 2016
Author(s)           : Y. Doi, M. Gillmore
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG