Subject: [rtcweb] #9: Section 4.3.2

From: "rtcweb issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:17:31 -0000

#9: Section 4.3.2

 4.3.2. Protecting Against During-Call Attack

    Protecting against attacks during a call is a more difficult
    proposition.  Even if the calling service cannot directly access
    keying material (as recommended in the previous section), it can
    simply mount a man-in-the-middle attack on the connection, telling
    Alice that she is calling Bob and Bob that he is calling Alice, while
    in fact the calling service is acting as a calling bridge and
    capturing all the traffic.  While in theory it is possible to
    construct techniques which protect against this form of attack, in
    practice these techniques all require far too much user intervention
    to be practical, given the user interface constraints described in
    [abarth-rtcweb].

 [BA] I think it's more than a user intervention/user interface issue.
 Aside from snooping the signaling to see if the callee includes an
 "isfocus" tag, how can the browser know if it is calling a conference
 bridge or not? Personally, I'd remove the "in theory" sentence.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-rtcweb-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  security                 |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/trac/ticket/9>
rtcweb <http://tools.ietf.org/rtcweb/>