Subject: [rtcweb] Some videos to download for today presentation

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 07:06:27 -0500

Download these two videos and see how you think they compare. Don’t watch them on the dropbox site as it does funky things in it’s playback. I'm going to be discussion them in my talk today and will try and show them on the screen but it will be easier to compare them if you just download them and play them on your own computer. 

Video A: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17089001/VidComp/a.mov

Video B: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17089001/VidComp/b.mov

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:52:38 -0400

Since Cullen is posting videos to show off the difference between 
hardware encoding and software encoding, I think there's possibly also 
value in showing the difference between VP8 and H.264 encoding. Here's a 
set of video pairs that demonstrate that difference:

http://www.quavlive.com/video_codec_comparison

/a

On 3/14/13 08:06, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:11:11 -0400

It's been pointed out that some media players may not be able to handle 
.mkv files, such as those present on the comparison page. If your media 
player of choice doesn't render these, I recommend VLC as a 
cross-platform player that plays just about everything:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

/a

On 3/14/13 09:52, Adam Roach wrote:
> value in showing the difference between VP8 and H.264 encoding. Here's 
> a set of video pairs that demonstrate that difference:
>
>> Download these two videos and see how you think they compare. Don’t 
>> watch them on the dropbox site as it does funky things in it’s 
>> playback. I'm going to be discussion them in my talk today and will 
>> try and show them on the screen but it will be easier to compare them 
>> if you just download them and play them on your own computer.
>>

---

From: John Koleszar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 07:12:49 -0700

The artifacts in video A are primarily caused by scaling, they're not
artifacts of VP8. Swapping in h264 and keeping all the other pieces the
same would look similar. This is going to affect everything from perceived
quality to achieved bitrate. I'm not sure you can draw any conclusion from
this test, and I don't think it lives up to its goal of "showing good VP8
implementation in best of conditions."

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Download these two videos and see how you think they compare. Don’t watch
> them on the dropbox site as it does funky things in it’s playback. I'm
> going to be discussion them in my talk today and will try and show them on
> the screen but it will be easier to compare them if you just download them
> and play them on your own computer.
>

---

From: John Koleszar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 07:14:12 -0700

I think the presentations prepared for today are likely to be more relevant
than this one from nearly 3 years ago.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Since Cullen is posting videos to show off the difference between hardware
> encoding and software encoding, I think there's possibly also value in
> showing the difference between VP8 and H.264 encoding. Here's a set of
> video pairs that demonstrate that difference:
>
> http://www.quavlive.com/video_**codec_comparison<http://www.quavlive.com/video_codec_comparison>
>
> /a
>
>
>> Video A: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/**17089001/VidComp/a.mov<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17089001/VidComp/a.mov>
>>
>> Video B: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/**17089001/VidComp/b.mov<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17089001/VidComp/b.mov>
>>
>> ______________________________**_________________
>> rtcweb mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/rtcweb<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb>
>>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/rtcweb<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb>
>

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:16:35 -0400

On 3/14/13 10:12, John Koleszar wrote:
> artifacts of VP8. Swapping in h264 and keeping all the other pieces 
> the same would look similar. This is going to affect everything from 
> perceived quality to achieved bitrate. I'm not sure you can draw any 
> conclusion from this test, and I don't think it lives up to its goal 
> of "showing good VP8 implementation in best of conditions."

Right. If we attempt to draw conclusions from these videos, they would 
include wild fallacies such as "VP8 cannot encode video with a correct 
aspect ratio."

/a

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:31:03 -0400

On 3/14/13 10:14, John Koleszar wrote:
> I think the presentations prepared for today are likely to be more 
> relevant than this one from nearly 3 years ago.

Interesting. What's changed?

/a