Subject: Re: [rtcweb] New VP8 vs H.264 tests uploaded

From: Kieran Kunhya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:01:46 +0100

Any of the x264 developers would have been happy to help you choose
appropriate settings. I made this suggestion to Harald since major codec
comparisons (e.g MSU, EBU) have communicated extensively with all codec
vendors involved. This did not happen and again inappropriate settings have
been used like filler bytes, 1 second VBV, large encoder latency (default
settings) etc.

Also it is complete nonsense to say x264 is not designed for low latency cf
- http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/249
I have deployed x264 for low-latency broadcast contribution beating
professional encoders in latency and quality and others use it extensively
for videoconferencing/cloud-gaming etc.

I would politely ask again if the people running codec comparisons ask on
the x264-devel mailing list or on #x264dev on Freenode IRC.

---

From: Kieran Kunhya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 02:59:55 +0100

Any of the x264 developers would have been happy to help you choose
appropriate settings. I made this suggestion to Harald since major codec
comparisons (e.g MSU, EBU) have communicated extensively with all codec
vendors. This did not happen and again inappropriate settings have been
used like filler bytes, 1 second VBV, large encoder latency (default
settings) etc.

Kieran Kunhya