Subject: [rtcweb] #19: Section 7.2: Congestion Control Extensions

From: "rtcweb issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 01:48:11 -0000

#19: Section 7.2: Congestion Control Extensions

 7.2.  RTCP Extensions for Congestion Control

    As described in Section 5.1.6, the Temporary Maximum Media Stream Bit
    Rate (TMMBR) request is supported by WebRTC senders.  This request
    can be used by a media receiver to impose limitations on the media
    sender based on the receiver's determined bit-rate limitations, to
    provide a limited means of congestion control.

    (tbd: What other RTP/RTCP extensions are needed?)

    As described in Section 5.1.6, the Temporary Maximum Media Stream Bit
    Rate (TMMBR) request is supported by WebRTC senders.  This request
    can be used by a media receiver to impose limitations on the media
    sender based on the receiver's determined bit-rate limitations, to
    provide a limited means of congestion control.

    (tbd: What other RTP/RTCP extensions are needed?)

    With proprietary congestion control algorithms issues can arise when
    different algorithms and implementations interact in a communication
    session.  If the different implementations have made different
    choices in regards to the type of adaptation, for example one sender
    based, and one receiver based, then one could end up in situation
    where one direction is dual controlled, when the other direction is
    not controlled.

    (tbd: How to ensure that both paths and sender and receiver based
    solutions can interact)

 [BA] Some nasty unresolved issues here. In particular, I am concerned
 about potential gaps in worldview between sender-side and receiver-side
 congestion control implementations.  Is our goal here to guarantee that a
 sender-side implementation can interoperate with a receiver-side
 implementation? Or that a sender-side implementation has the information
 it needs?

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  rtp-usage                |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/trac/ticket/19>
rtcweb <http://tools.ietf.org/rtcweb/>