Subject: [rtcweb] #22: Section 4.3: Negotiation requirement

From: "rtcweb issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 22:25:02 -0000

#22: Section 4.3: Negotiation requirement

 support for all RTP payload formats MUST be negotiated before
    they are used.

 [BA] Why is this a requirement for WebRTC applications?  Couldn't an
 application set the payload formats it wants to use in the API without
 negotiating them on the wire?

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  critical                 |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  rtp-usage                |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/trac/ticket/22>
rtcweb <http://tools.ietf.org/rtcweb/>

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:24:34 +0200

>  negotiating them on the wire?

We are using in negotiated in this specification as meaning:
- All nodes in a specific RTP session must agree on a common configuration.

To achieve this at least some type of capability and configuration
exchange needs to happen. Even if it is stripped down to say: Use
algorithm X and here are the peer capabilities that needs to be taken
into account.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "rtcweb issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 07:03:26 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 [Magnus Westerlund]

 We are using in negotiated in this specification as meaning:
 - All nodes in a specific RTP session must agree on a common
 configuration.

 [BA] I agree that the nodes must agree. So maybe just say that: "MUST be
 agreed upon between the parties before they are used."

 Severity:  Active WG Document       |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/trac/ticket/22#comment:1>
rtcweb <http://tools.ietf.org/rtcweb/>

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:17:02 +0100

On 26 Aug 2013, at 08:03, rtcweb issue tracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> [BA] I agree that the nodes must agree. So maybe just say that: "MUST be agreed upon between the parties before they are used."

Fine. Once again, I'll give SDP as an example of how this can be done.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/