Subject: [rtcweb] Public Domain H.261 en- and decoder

From: Maik Merten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:39:33 +0100

Hello all,

I took the liberty of pushing a H.261 en- and decoder developed at the 
Portable Video Research Group at Stanford to

https://github.com/maikmerten/p64

This version has been patched up by Ron to build on modern systems. I 
can confirm it compiles and runs on x86_64 and ARMv6.

The original code distribution is from 1993. It was never intended as 
production ready codebase - it's quite slow and cannot readily be 
deployed in an actual product.

Nonetheless, this IMO is a nice showcase of what encoding algorithms 
were state of the art in the early 1990ies and may be an interesting 
reference point for those who want to avoid IPR-risks that may be 
introduced by modern encoding methods introduced since.

It's also a nice piece of video-coding history ;-)

Maik

---

From: Leon Geyser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:04:52 +0200

Awesome,
Thank you for pushing it to github.

On 10 December 2013 22:39, Maik Merten <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This version has been patched up by Ron to build on modern systems. I can
> confirm it compiles and runs on x86_64 and ARMv6.
>
> production ready codebase - it's quite slow and cannot readily be deployed
> in an actual product.
>
> Nonetheless, this IMO is a nice showcase of what encoding algorithms were
> state of the art in the early 1990ies and may be an interesting reference
> point for those who want to avoid IPR-risks that may be introduced by
> modern encoding methods introduced since.
>
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
>

---

From: Engel Nyst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:31:48 +0200

> https://github.com/maikmerten/p64

This is great, thank you for the initiative and time!

-- 
~enyst

"Excuse me, Professor Lessig, but may I ask you to sign this CLA, so 
that we have legally your permission to distribute your CC-licensed words?"

---

From: Basil Mohamed Gohar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:39:13 -0500

> It's also a nice piece of video-coding history ;-)

Your move, Cisco.

:p

-- 
Libre Video
http://librevideo.org

---

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:44:36 +1100

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Maik Merten <[email-masked]> wrote:
> point for those who want to avoid IPR-risks that may be introduced by modern
> encoding methods introduced since.
>

Also great for education! Thanks for this!
Silvia.

---

From: Alexandre GOUAILLARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:14:57 +0800

thanks for the contribution.