Subject: [rtcweb] RTP usage: supporting RTP ECN?

From: "Huangyihong (Rachel)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:56:15 +0000

Hi,

draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage-12 doesn't have any description regarding to RTP ECN RFC6679. I'm wondering why. But from my point of view, it's worth some discussion. The usage of ECN is a trend though it is not universal in current network. Supporting it in browsers for RTP media transport may be good for future.

BR,
Rachel

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:28:05 +0100

On 2014-03-06 10:56, Huangyihong (Rachel) wrote:
> Hi,
> 
>  
> 
> draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage-12 doesn’t have any description regarding to
> RTP ECN RFC6679. I’m wondering why. But from my point of view, it’s
> worth some discussion. The usage of ECN is a trend though it is not
> universal in current network. Supporting it in browsers for RTP media
> transport may be good for future.
> 

Hi Rachel,
(as individual/author)

We did consider ECN for RTP and it was discussed a bit at the Stockholm
interim meeting in June 2012. My recollection of this is that the
complexity trade-off versus the potential gains and the risk for it
causing negative impact resulted in that we did not included it at this
stage.

I do think adding ECN would be a good thing, but we do need to know that
it is working reasonably well and provide a benefit sufficiently often.
I think the importance of AQM will enable more deployment of ECN also.
Thus enabling improved performance for real-time applications like
WebRTC based ones.

I would suggest that we revisit this question after the core set of
specifications have been done.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Services, Media and Network features, Ericsson Research EAB/TXM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:39:27 +0100

> specifications have been done.

+1
=> ECN for rtcweb could be great.

Cheers,
Michael

> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 21:33:58 -0700

+1 to what Magnus said.  ECN for RTP isn't mature enough to make this a
WebRTC requirement at this time.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Magnus Westerlund <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> > draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage-12 doesn't have any description regarding to
> > RTP ECN RFC6679. I'm wondering why. But from my point of view, it's