Subject: [rtcweb] comments on draft-ietf-rtcweb-stun-consent-freshness-00

From: John Mattsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:41:36 +0000

I read through draft-ietf-rtcweb-stun-consent-freshness-00. I mostly have
editorial comments.

Cheers
John

-“A consent timer, Tc, whose value is determined by the browser. This
value MUST be 15 seconds.”

I would delete “whose value is determined by the browser” as it’s
determined by the specification.

-I think the session liveness mechanism needs more details:
Does "start liveness test" mean that it stays on until JavaScript says
"stop liveness test”, does is stop after Tr, or does it stop after
notification?
If liveness test stays on after notification, shouldn't the javascript be
informed of renewed connectivity?
If liveness test stays on after notification, Is the timer reset, or does
the browser keep checking (e.g. every 500 ms)

Editorial comments:

- "This document describes a new STUN usage with a request and response
which verifies the remote peer consents to receive traffic, and detects
loss of liveness."
   
Should be rephrased make it cleareer that "STUN usage" does not detect
loss of liveness.

-"Transport Address"
Not used, delete definition

-Put space between number and unit, i.e. “500ms” -> “500 ms” (preferably
non-breaking)

"uses three values"
Seem to use four values as 500 ms is used as well. Should maybe consider
trating "Tc" and "500 ms" in the same way. I.e. either writing out 15
seconds or introducing Tx for "500 ms".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
JOHN MATTSSON
MSc Engineering Physics, MSc Business Administration and Economics
Ericsson IETF Security Coordinator
Senior Researcher, Security

Ericsson AB
Security Research
Färögatan 6
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone +46 10 71 43 501
SMS/MMS +46 76 11 53 501
[email-masked]
www.ericsson.com <http://www.ericsson.com/>