Subject: [rtcweb] Document Action: 'Web Real-Time Communication Use-cases and Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:37:14 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Web Real-Time Communication Use-cases and Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-16.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Real-Time Communication in
WEB-browsers Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Richard Barnes and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements/

Technical Summary

  This document discusses a number of usages of browser based
  real-time communication and data transfer capabilities
  and establish requirements for these usages. The document
  is intended to be used both in IETF and W3C during the 
  development of the WebRTC specifications.

Working Group Summary

  The document has been under development during a longer period
  and a larger number of use cases has been proposed then what 
  is included in the document. These that have been included
  has been considered the most basic, most relevant to core 
  functionality and without significant controversies. 

Document Quality
  
  There has been some concerns about the structure of the document, 
  but the WG see no significant need to address this. The document
  is requested to be published as a documentation of the 
  core consideration around usages that was of interest during 
  the first part of the WebRTC work. The other expected usage of this 
  document will be to analyze if the resulting protocol solution
  will enable the considered use cases. 
  
  The document has been reviewed and commented on by a significant
  number of people within the WG, including persons active in the W3C
  WEBRTC WG.

Personnel

  Magnus Westerlund is the Document Shepherd. 
  Richard Barnes is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

One minor change to address Stephen's DISCUSS.
 
OLD:
A malicious web application might use the browser to perform Denial
Of Service (DOS) attacks on NAT infrastructure, or on peer devices.
Also, a malicious web application might silently establish outgoing,
and accept incoming, streams on an already established connection.

NEW:
A malicious web application might use the browser to perform Denial
Of Service (DOS) attacks on NAT infrastructure, or on peer devices.
For example, a malicious web application might leak TURN credentials
to unauthorized parties, allowing them to consume the TURN server's
bandwidth.  To address this risk, Web applications should be
prepared to revoke TURN credentials and issue new ones. Also, a
malicious web application might silently establish outgoing,
and accept incoming, streams on an already established connection.