Subject: [rtcweb] Comments on draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-13

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 13:03:29 +0100

Hi,

I have reviewed the overview document and have some comments.

1. Section 2.2:

   o  A Javascript API specification, done in the W3C
      [W3C.WD-webrtc-20120209][W3C.WD-mediacapture-streams-20120628]

To me it looks these references needs a bit of an update.

2. Section 2.2:
 Together, these two specifications aim to provide an environment
   where Javascript embedded in any page,

I think the sentence would be more correct if "two specifications" would
be changed to "two sets of two specifications" as neither is a single
document.

3. Section 2.2:
   o  A WebRTC gateway is a WebRTC-compatible endpoint that mediates
      media traffic to non-WebRTC entities.

I have some difficulties to accept endpoint with the current
formulation. To me an gateway is an middlebox that performs
transformations that makes an non-WebRTC entity look like a
WebRTC-compatible endpoint.

4. Section 2.4:

   API:  Application Programming Interface - a specification of a set of
      calls and events, usually tied to a programming language or an
      abstract formal specification such as WebIDL, with its defined
      semantics.

Missing reference to WebIDL

5. Section 2.5:
   Media path:  The path that media data follows from one WebRTC
      endpoint to another.

I get the impression that there are an implicit "network path" that this
one defines, or?

6. Section 7.

   3.  When a new codec is specified, and the SDP for the new codec is
       specified in the MMUSIC WG, no other standardization should be
       required for it to be possible to use that in the web browsers.

I think the reference here to MMUSIC is wrong. Only in very unusual
cases would one need to go to MMUSIC to define new SDP parts to
introduce any new codec. I would suggest to simply remove "in the MMUSIC
WG".

7. Section 13.2:

Is really the 2011 WD the right reference for HTML5?

In large this document is in pretty good shape. And I think the main
question is when to say that these documents are really the basic set of
WebRTC and now we shall publish it.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Services, Media and Network features, Ericsson Research EAB/TXM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------