Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Datachannel Hackathon at IETF 101 ?

From: Lennart Grahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 23:59:18 +0000

In case anyone of you is not subscribed to the IETF hackathon mailing
list. :)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [hackathon] Standalone WebRTC Data Channel Implementation
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 23:53:42 +0000
From: Lennart Grahl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Hello everyone,

I will be championing the "Portable C-based WebRTC Data Channel
Implementation" project. Now, that title is probably not really
expressive, so this is what I have in mind:

There have been some hints that SCTP-based data channels are hard to get
right and this is why I've prepared a standalone data channel library
(called RAWRTCDC) before IETF 101 you can integrate into your WebRTC or
ORTC stack. [1] The readme should cover the basics on how this can be
integrated into a WebRTC or ORTC stack of your choice. So, here are a
bunch of ideas we can do with this at the hackathon:

* Try to integrate it into a WebRTC/ORTC stack of your choice and I'll
be available for any questions, or
* Creating bindings to other languages, or
* Resolving open issues.

Beyond that library, we may also...

* Do interop testing with other data channel implementations, or
* Hunt and resolve bugs that are related to data channels
(implementation, spec-wise, usrsctp-specific, ...), or
* Ponder about how to get streams right for the W3C spec [3].

If you're interested or just want to chat with other data channel folks,
we can talk on-site or communicate via RAWRTC's Gitter channel [2].

Cheers
Lennart

[1] https://github.com/rawrtc/rawrtc-data-channel
[2] https://gitter.im/rawrtc/Lobby

On 24.01.2018 11:28, T H Panton wrote:
> There has been talk over on the w3c list about the scarcity and unsuitability of free-standing WebRTC datachannel implementations.
> 
> I wonder if this is a suitable target for the IETF 101 hackathon? 
> 
> The challenge would be to throw up one or 2 free standing datachannel implementations based on existing open
> source with APIs that might suit authors of networked games or SFUs.
> 
> Comments? Thoughts?
> 
> T.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
>