Subject: [rtcweb] Protocol Action: 'JavaScript Session Establishment Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep-24.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 09:15:58 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JavaScript Session Establishment Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep-24.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the mechanisms for allowing a JavaScript
   application to control the signaling plane of a multimedia session
   via the interface specified in the W3C RTCPeerConnection API and
   relates this signaling to the media streams and data channels which
   are created and managed by the application. It is effectively the
   core signaling protocol for WebRTC endpoints.

Working Group Summary

   The working group process leading up to this document was quite long and
   required unusual levels of coordination with the W3C group producing the
   API and the IETF working groups responsible for the underlying mechanisms
   (especially those responsible for SDP, ICE, and RTP).  During the process,
   there were some decisions which moved between groups in ways that made
   consensus difficult to judge because the groups were not completely
   congruent. The shepherd's evaluation is that the contents of this document
   do have consensus of the interested parties, and the responsible area
   director concurs.

Document Quality

  The protocol has various levels of implementation in release versions of at
  least five major web browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, and Opera) and
  in hundreds of applications.  Those who contributed significant text and
  reviews are mentioned in the acknowledgements section. The GEN-ART
  review was specifically (and by request) conducted by a communications
  and SDP expert.

Personnel

   Ted Hardie is the document shepherd.
   Adam Roach is the responsible area director.