Subject: [rtcweb] Proposed protocol change to JSEP: Omitting track ID

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 13:35:18 +0200

I note that the editors of JSEP seem to have made the following change
to their draft:

https://github.com/rtcweb-wg/jsep/pull/850

It proposes removing the track ID from MSID signalling.

This is an incompatible protocol change, proposed after IESG approval of
the document. (I also happen to disagree with it.)

I'd like to have the WG declare consensus that we don't want
incompatible protocol changes to JSEP after IESG approval.
(If we want to discuss the proposed protocol change on its merits, we
can do that too, but I'm very much not in agreement with doing this
change in this way. Breaking changes belong in -bis documents, not in
the RFC Editor queue.)

Harald

-- 
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 09:58:19 -0500

[as responsible AD]

> change in this way. Breaking changes belong in -bis documents, not in

Without speaking to the specific changes your cite, I'll note that the 
current plan is to take JSEP through IETF last call and IESG approval 
again. In fairness, this conclusion was easy to miss, as it was buried 
in a pretty long thread:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/art/ycWd6evWxVjYCajxTbWynNvOIw4

/a