Subject: RTFM meeting: S3 Wed lunchtime

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 04:38:08 +1300 (DST)

Hello all:

The informal RTFM get-together will be held in South 3 (entrance to
the right as you head towards South 4) at lunchtime on Wednesday,
starting at 1140.

Agenda items:

1. Re-activating the RTFM working group.
   There are two activities for which this could be considered -  
   a) Develop a standard method (protocol, API, whatever) for changing
      rulests in an RTFM meter 'on the fly,' i.e. while they are
      running (e.g. to add/delete networks from a list of networks
      for which flow data is being collected).
   b) Review the 'New Attributes' RFC (2274) so as to decide which of
      these turn out to be really useful, and produce an 'RTFM Meter
      extensions' RFC so as to allow standardised implementation.     

   To reactivate the WG we'd need to run a BOF; the first step towards
   that is to produce Internet Drafts setting out what needs to be done.
   We'll need to decide who will work on two I-Ds, one for each of the 
   above goals (and any others we want to pursue). 

   We should aim to get these published as individual I-Ds by the
   end of September.  Then we can ask our ADs for a BOF at
   the San Diego IETF in December.

2. A need has arisen for 'list-valued' attributes.  These are for
   things like DSCP and next-hop which are different for each direction
   of a flow, but each packet only has a value for one direction.
   The list would contain (attribute value, packet count) pairs.

3. I have some interesting experience in implementing distributions
   of data from IP streams which I'd like to share.  Also some 
   plots of turnaround time for DNS request packets.

Does anyone have any other items?  If so, please post them to the list.

Cheers, Nevil

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Nevil Brownlee                     Director, Technology Development |
| Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x8941        ITSS, The University of Auckland |
|   FAX: +64 9 373 7425      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------C

--- End Forwarded Message ---

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Nevil Brownlee                     Director, Technology Development |
| Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x8941        ITSS, The University of Auckland |
|   FAX: +64 9 373 7425      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------C