Subject: PAM2001 Call For Papers

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:31:44 +0200 (CEST)

Passive & Active Measurement: PAM-2001

                         Call for papers

A workshop on passive and active measurement techniques for high speed
computer networks and the Internet

                    Amsterdam, the Netherlands,
                        April 23-24, 2001

Program Committee:  Henk Uijterwaal    RIPE-NCC, NL, Conference Chair
                    Nevil Brownlee     U.Auckland, NZ
                    Randy Bush         Verio, USA
                    kc Claffy          CAIDA, USA
                    Les Cottrell       SLAC, USA
                    Geoff Huston       Telstra, AU
                    Daniel Karrenberg  RIPE-NCC, NL
                    Ian Graham         U.Waikato, NZ
                    Yasuichi Kitamura  APAN, Japan
                    Will Leland        Telcordia, USA
                    Tony McGregor      U.Waikato, NZ
                    Ronn Ritke         NLANR, USA
                    Rick Whitner       Agilent, USA

As the Internet has grown over the last decade the need for precise
measurement of network traffic has become steadily more apparent; most of
today's Internet Service Providers and many of their large network
customers are collecting and analysing traffic data for the purposes of
performance monitoring, network engineering and cost recovery, but the
engineering quality of these measurements vary.

A steadily growing number of research groups have been working in the
areas of:

- Active Measurements, i.e. sending test packets and observing their
  progress through the Internet,
- Passive Measurements, i.e. observing actual traffic on 'live' networks,
- Performance Metrics, i.e. developing measures or indicators which can be
  used to characterise traffic behavior,
- Traffic Statistics, i.e. attempting to understand and develop models of
  'real' Internet traffic, and
- Visualisation, i.e. finding effective ways to display what's happening
  in a network.

After the successful workshop PAM2000 in Hamilton, New Zealand, in April
2000, the RIPE NCC will be organising another workshop on this topic in
Amsterdam in April 2001.

Papers are invited from the research, provider and any other communities
on topics in the areas above, or any other area of network traffic
measurement.  Areas of interest include, but are not limited to:

1. 'Experience' papers, which describe practical uses of measurements,
   especially in large networks.
2. Papers on modelling network traffic, in particular if they are 
   backed up by measurements of real traffic.
3. Papers describing network research that can be applied to existing
   networks.

Extended abstracts (about 500 words, plain ASCII preferred) must be
submitted by e-mail to [email-masked] by 12 November 2000. Paper
submissions must contain the following: paper title, full name(s) of the
author(s), organisational affiliation(s) and 1 email address where the
author(s) can be contacted.  Abstracts will be reviewed and acceptance
notified no later than 18 December 2001.

Papers, maximum 15 printed pages, must be submitted electronically by 5
March 2001. Details of acceptable paper formats will be published on the
conference web site, http://www.ripe.net/pam2001

There will be an opportunity for participants to present measurement
equipment and software. Proposals for demonstrations (about 500 words,
plain ASCII) should be sent by email to the conference chair at
[email-masked] by 5 March 2001.

The program committee is investigating the possibility of organising one
or more tutorial sessions in conjunction with the conference.  Proposals
for tutorials (about 500 words, plain ASCII) should be sent by email to
the conference chair by 12 November 2000.

The workshop will be held at the Barbizon Golden Tulip hotel in
Amsterdam. Special room rates will be available for the conference.  The
conference fee will be (approximately) 175 Euro (US$165).  The exact
conference fee and details on registration will be published on the
workshop's web page late November.  The conference fee will include a
printed copy of the papers selected for presentation at the workshop.  
Papers selected for publication will also be published on the web.

Important dates:

 * 12 November 2000:   Deadline for abstracts
 * 18 December 2000:   Notification of acceptance
 * 5 March 2001:       Final papers due
 * 23-24 April 2001:   Conference

Contact information:

 * PAM 2001
   c/o RIPE-NCC
   Singel 258 
   1016 AB Amsterdam
   The Netherlands
 * Phone:   +31.20.5354444
 * Fax:     +31.20.5354445
 * Email:   [email-masked]
 * Webpage: http://www.ripe.net/pam2001

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.535-4414,  Fax -4445
1016 AB Amsterdam                   Home: +31.20.4195305
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A man can take a train and never reach his destination.
                                               (Kerouac, well before RFC2780).