Subject: WGLC for BFD Multipoint documents (ending July 14, 2017)

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 15:39:29 -0400

Working Group,

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-10
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail-04

The BFD Multipoint documents have been stable for some time.  Prior
discussion at meetings has suggested we have an implementation for the main 
protocol component.  Also per prior discussions, we split the active-tail
component of the original multipoint document to permit implementors to not
have to worry about implementing active-tail procedures if they weren't
interested in that feature.

We are starting an extended last call on these documents.  The WGLC will
conclude on July 14.  This provides ample time for list discussion.  If
necessary, the IETF-99 meeting may provide for opportunities to close any
contentious technical points.  (BFD is not currently scheduled to meet.)

One item I would like to kick off is the document status of the active-tail
mechanism.  At this time, no one has implemented it that I am aware of.
Discussion with our AD suggests that publishing the document with
Experimental status may be reasonable to preserve the work that went into
the proposal.

-- Jeff

---

From: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 14:56:22 +0000

Just one comment on these two documents, in regards to the state variables:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-10#section-4.4.1

4.4.1.  New State Variables

   A number of state variables are added to the base specification in
   support of Multipoint BFD.

      bfd.SessionType

         The type of this session.  Allowable values are:

CMP: However, this state (bfd.SessionType) variable is already defined in SBFD RFC 7880:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7880#section-6.1

6.1.  New State Variables

   A new state variable is added to the base specification in support
   of S-BFD.

   o  bfd.SessionType: This is a new state variable that describes
      the type of a particular session.

CMP: So, for draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint, I suggest a pointer to RFC 7880 where bfd.SessionType is defined in the addition of new values to the existing variable.

CMP: Similarly:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail-04#section-3.3.1

      bfd.SessionType

         The type of this session as defined in
         [I-D.ietf-bfd-multipoint].  A new value introduced is:

CMP: The pointer above should be to RFC 7880 also, and:

      bfd.SilentTail

CMP: But this is defined in draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-10#section-4.4.1

      bfd.SilentTail

Thanks!

— Carlos.

On Jun 19, 2017, at 3:39 PM, Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Working Group,

-- Jeff