Subject: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-chen-bfd-unsolicited-01.txt

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 19:35:31 -0700

Hi, Folks:

Please let us know if you have any comments on the draft.

Thanks.  -- Enke

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-bfd-unsolicited-01.txt
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 19:26:10 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Unsolicited BFD for Sessionless Applications
        Authors         : Enke Chen
                          Naiming Shen
                          Robert Raszuk
	Filename        : draft-chen-bfd-unsolicited-01.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2017-07-30

Abstract:
   For operational simplification of "sessionless" applications using
   BFD, in this document we present procedures for "unsolicited BFD"
   that allow a BFD session to be initiated by only one side, and be
   established without explicit per-session configuration or
   registration by the other side (subject to certain per-interface or
   per-router policies).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-bfd-unsolicited/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-bfd-unsolicited-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-bfd-unsolicited-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chen-bfd-unsolicited-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 13:30:46 -0400

Working Group,

This draft was briefly mentioned as part of the IDR WG presentation on
RS-BFD that I am a co-author on.  That presentation is supposed to be linked
here, but is not coming up.  Hopefully it's a transient error:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/99/materials/slides-99-idr-03-idr-rs-bfd-ietf99

A simplified version of the discussion is roughly:
- In Internet Exchange Point environments, monitoring BGP next-hop
  reachability via BFD is desirable.
- Since these next-hops may not be symmetrically distributed in BGP between
  the two end systems via the route server, additional help is needed to
  permit both sides of a normal RFC 5881 session bootstrap itself.

The draft mentioned below attempts to resolve this scenario by permitting a
"wildcard" single-hop BFD session be created for interfaces in environments
such as a this IXP environment.  It may be useful outside of the IXP use case.

-- Jeff