Subject: Re: WGLC for BFD Multipoint documents (ending July 14, 2017)

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 13:34:28 -0700

Hi Jeff, et. al,
I've missed the part of active-tails in the WGLC. My apologies. Though it
may be too late, I'll send my notes by the end of the week.
Since the targeted track to the active-tails draft may be changed from
Standard to Experimental perhaps we should inform the TRILL WG as TRILL
Support of Point to Multipoint BFD
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-trill-p2mp-bfd-05> has active-tails
as its normative reference and very much relies on its functionality to
keep the root informed of failure in p2mp tree.
reg

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Working Group,
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-10
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail-04
>
>
> The BFD Multipoint documents have been stable for some time.  Prior
> discussion at meetings has suggested we have an implementation for the main
> protocol component.  Also per prior discussions, we split the active-tail
> component of the original multipoint document to permit implementors to not
> have to worry about implementing active-tail procedures if they weren't
> interested in that feature.
>
> We are starting an extended last call on these documents.  The WGLC will
> conclude on July 14.  This provides ample time for list discussion.  If
> necessary, the IETF-99 meeting may provide for opportunities to close any
> contentious technical points.  (BFD is not currently scheduled to meet.)
>
> One item I would like to kick off is the document status of the active-tail
> mechanism.  At this time, no one has implemented it that I am aware of.
> Discussion with our AD suggests that publishing the document with
> Experimental status may be reasonable to preserve the work that went into
> the proposal.
>
> -- Jeff
>
>